Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump in shed...how hot is too hot?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump in shed...how hot is too hot?

Just had this built over the equipment pad

shed-built-over-equipment-pad-t33292.html

I notice it gets freakin' hot inside the shed during the day. Is it possible for the air to be too hot for a pump? I notice my pump (a Hayward Tri-Star) is 'desert rated' which I assume means it's OK in hot conditions...
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump in shed...how hot is too hot?

Because of the coloration gaining heat and the pump adding heat, it's going to get pretty hot in there. I'd stick a thermometer in there to see how hot it gets and if it gets higher than 130°F you should power vent it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I found out that in Hayward's world, 'desert rated' means good up to 140f. Next hot day (unfortunately, our little heat wave only lasted two days here in Ontario) I'll measure the temp in the shed and go from there.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

4. Back To Top    #4

I would ridge vent your shed and make sure you have plenty of soffit vents, all easy retrofits that wouldn't cost a lot. Gable ends are better than nothing but ridge vents are a lot more efficient at moving air through the roof.

I built a kids play house similar to your plumbing shed and used those little round vents to vent the soffit, easy to cut the hole and using "no nails" glue them into place.

55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011

5. Back To Top    #5

Some vents down low in the wall near the pump in addition to ridge vents would be the ultimate in convection cooling for the motor. If that is not an option then the ridge/soffit combination would work well to.
    18'x24' (10,000 gal) above ground pool, 19" Proline sand filter (45 GPM), Jacuzzi 1.5 HP 2 speed pump