Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Making a Solar Saddle

Making a Solar Saddle

We have a solar cover on our above ground pool and I am looking at the solar saddles to hold the cover. Is there anyone that has built their own and if so, how did you do it?

24x52 14,000 gallons above ground/ cartridge filter
    28,000 round above ground
    1.5 hp sand filter

Re: Making a Solar Saddle

I looked into it and found that it was cheaper to buy the ready made ones than to buy the parts and try to make them. But I wound up buying a reel anyway!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

I have some ideas and I'm going to give it a try, think I can accomplish the same thing for less than $100 with some bent PVC and cable ties! I'll let you know the outcome!

Quote Originally Posted by jamkar
    We have a solar cover on our above ground pool and I am looking at the solar saddles to hold the cover. Is there anyone that has built their own and if so, how did you do it?

24x52 14,000 gallons above ground/ cartridge filter
    I just built mine out of PVC..Had about $40 in all of it..I just put some together by eye..Here some picture's.Work's very wll.plus I can just take down for the winter[attachment=1:1rt8fqec]0620120949a.jpg[/attachment:1rt8fqec]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Updated to Hayworth S-180 T sand filter 2003,,BBB method started in may2010,,TF-100

Do you have any pics o how you did the inside under the lip of the pool?

Here's a picture of them.No measurement's.Just by eye..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Updated to Hayworth S-180 T sand filter 2003,,BBB method started in may2010,,TF-100

kplaster: How much of the circumference of the pool would you estimate your solar saddle covers from end to end? And how far apart do you estimate your hooks are? Thanks!
    June 2013 24 x 52 Sharkline Heritage AGP (13,500 gal), 16" sand filter with 1 hp pump, TF-100 test kit
    My first pool ever, pool school student with lots of questions

Quote Originally Posted by hurt5150
    kplaster: How much of the circumference of the pool would you estimate your solar saddle covers from end to end? And how far apart do you estimate your hooks are? Thanks!
    I would say 4-5 ft.I would atleast go with 4 on a 24 ft round.

thanks! Looks like I caught you twice!
    June 2013 24 x 52 Sharkline Heritage AGP (13,500 gal), 16" sand filter with 1 hp pump, TF-100 test kit
    My first pool ever, pool school student with lots of questions

Awesome just showed this to hubby , then he started asking me what size PVC, told him wasn't posted so I don't know. We are going to do this for our solar cover
    19300 gal (27x54), AG, 22"Millenium Ultimate Granular Filtration w/2HP 2SP Pump,
    July 2013, Polaris 65 Vac, Confer AG Curve Step System

Quote Originally Posted by verna2197 View Post
    Awesome just showed this to hubby , then he started asking me what size PVC, told him wasn't posted so I don't know. We are going to do this for our solar cover
    Check the thread Here
    Rick
    Installed June 2012 Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Cartridge Filter 100SF, 1.5HP
    Aqua Plus Smarte System - In for vacations, BBB all the way.
    Love my PVC Solar Cover Hangers