Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liner Stretch Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Liner Stretch Question

I am considering a dished bottom on my 27’ diameter X 52” pool install. I am looking at different liners (bought pool used so it needs a new liner) and wonder if an “expandable” liner is my only option here or if a standard liner will stretch enough to go a little deeper toward the middle of the pool. I’m envisioning sort of a shallow bowl bottom with a level 6 wide foot ledge at the standard 48” depth around the perimeter and then a gradual slope down maybe 8” or 12” to even 18” deep if possible at the center, making about a 14 foot diameter bowl, if that makes any sense. Is this possible with a standard liner? Will a liner stretch that much without damage? If not, how deep can I safely go, if at all? Is an expandable liner the only option for this scenario? According to my calcs, a 1 foot deep bowl only requires about a 1 1/4" of stretch over the 27 foot diameter. That doesn't seem bad. Even a 18" drop is only about 3 1/8" of stretch. Seems that is within the acceptable range but I'd like to hear from someone more knowledgeable. Any suggestions on brand, web sites, etc? Kinda lost here. Any and all advice is deeply appreciated! (see what I did there? LOL.)

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Liner Stretch Question

The problem is, that you don't know if the liner was sized to account for close to maximum stretch on a normal install. You could always add a couple of inches of sand under the bottom and it might be fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit