Where do I start ???

monty1

Gold Supporter
Jun 9, 2011
Shelbyville, Indiana
New to the Forum - the School is a GREAT read and very informative.

Just opened pool and readings are as follows:
FC - 1
CC - 2
TC - 3
PH - 7.3
TA - 250
CH - 300
CYA - 10
Temp - 78
Water color - green - cloudy - barely see shallow end bottom

I traditionally use Trichlor for chlorine and CalHypo for shocking - after reading my School assignments, I certainly will consider changing my bad habits.

My CYA appears very low, while my TA is very high and CH is high. - What should I address first, and what effect will it have on all of my other readings??

I do not want to compound my problems, so am reaching out.

Would greatly appreciate any input !!

First, deal with the algae. See the article "Defeating Algae" in Pool School. Use bleach, don't use any more CalHypo. The latter is what drove your calcium level up so high.

What testing method do you use?

As said above, read pool school. I would start by getting some stabilizer (100% CYA) and bringing the level up to 30. Add the granules by pouring into a sock and hanging in front of a return, or spread it out into two socks if you have another return or your socks aren't that big :) For a 24,000 gal pool that would take 64 oz. (weight) 67 oz. (volume) to get there. You won't actually be able to measure that number (from water testing), if you use the granules, for about a week, so just trust that your calculations are correct. After that, you need to bring the FC up to shock level. Shock level for a CYA of 30 is 12. You need to add 547 oz. of 6% bleach to get to that level from where you are now. Then you need to maintain that level until: your water is clear, your CC is < .5 and you pass the overnight FC loss test. Info on performing that test is in pool school.

joshs2000ss said:
As said above, read pool school. I would start by getting some stabilizer (100% CYA) and bringing the level up to 30. Add the granules by pouring into a sock and hanging in front of a return, or spread it out into two socks if you have another return or your socks aren't that big :) For a 24,000 gal pool that would take 64 oz. (weight) 67 oz. (volume) to get there. You won't actually be able to measure that number (from water testing), if you use the granules, for about a week, so just trust that your calculations are correct. After that, you need to bring the FC up to shock level. Shock level for a CYA of 30 is 12. You need to add 547 oz. of 6% bleach to get to that level from where you are now. Then you need to maintain that level until: your water is clear, your CC is < .5 and you pass the overnight FC loss test. Info on performing that test is in pool school.

Great, thanks.

At what time do I address the High TA?? I am currently at 250. So how do we address the issue without throwing all the other numbers out of wack??.

Dan

At what time do I address the High TA?? I am currently at 250. So how do we address the issue without throwing all the other numbers out of wack??.
Address it after your pool is shocked, crystal clear, and everything is in balance.

1. Shock your Pool - do so according to pool school - it is a process not a one-time dose Do this ASAP

2. Once the process is complete, adjust CYA to around 40-50ppm

3. Repost your test results and the condition of your water

4. Adjust TA if necessary

duraleigh said:
Address it after your pool is shocked, crystal clear, and everything is in balance.

1. Shock your Pool - do so according to pool school - it is a process not a one-time dose Do this ASAP

2. Once the process is complete, adjust CYA to around 40-50ppm

3. Repost your test results and the condition of your water

4. Adjust TA if necessary

Okay, here we are 8 days later and what a difference in he pool's condition.

FC- 7
CC-0
TC - 7
PH - 7.6
CYA - 50
TA - 230
CH - 300
Temp - 78 deg

Just coming off a shock, passed the overnight free chlorine test at .5 FC, and the pool looks beautiful.

What should I do next to complete the balance of the pool?? Should I attempt to lower the TA?? If so, how far down should I lower it and any recommended steps??

This forum is really great. After thirty-two years with a pool, I never understood and was always baffeled with water chemistry, always depending on the pool store for advise, but never understanding it. Your advise has certainly changed my mind and the proof has certainly been in the current results.

GREAT JOB!!

Dan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
GREAT JOB!!
Actually, that kudos goes to you. The forum provides the info and the methods. Pool owners like you take that info and take charge of their pools and get them sparkling....congrats! :lol:

Yeah, now it's time to work on the TA. There's still no hurry to get it done tonight so read carefully on how to do it in Pool School. It's an alternating-step process of lowering pH with muriatic (the TA will come down, too) and then using aeration to bring the pH back up (the TA will stay down)

There's a specific article in Pool School and it may take you a few days to get it down around 100 or so. Post back if you have questions after reading the article.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.