Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to stop keeping chlorine at shock level

1. Back To Top    #1

When to stop keeping chlorine at shock level

Ive got a 20x40 inground vinyl pool that I have been opening myself the last couple years. I use the BBB method and evrntually always go from a green pool at opening to a sparkling pool. I am however still unclear of one thing. When my pool goes from green to a light blue, how long do i need to keep my chlorine levels up to shock level ? My chlorine is holding overnight and I dont seem to be using more than normal during the day. Do I keep at shock level until pool is completely clear or can I maintain normal chlorine level based on CYA at this point and just wait for the filter to do the remaining work ? Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When to stop keeping chlorine at shock level

Quote Originally Posted by hardcoreco1
    Ive got a 20x40 inground vinyl pool that I have been opening myself the last couple years. I use the BBB method and evrntually always go from a green pool at opening to a sparkling pool. I am however still unclear of one thing. When my pool goes from green to a light blue, how long do i need to keep my chlorine levels up to shock level ? My chlorine is holding overnight and I dont seem to be using more than normal during the day. Do I keep at shock level until pool is completely clear or can I maintain normal chlorine level based on CYA at this point and just wait for the filter to do the remaining work ? Thanks
    You are done shocking when you meet the three criteria. See red info in my sig.

Welcome
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay just to confirm. My chlorine is holding overnight and my cc is 0. My pool is a very light blue and I can see the bottom of shallow end but nothing on deep end. You are telling me I need to keep at constant shock level based on CYA until pool is totally clear correct?
    Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by hardcoreco1
    Okay just to confirm. My chlorine is holding overnight and my cc is 0. My pool is a very light blue and I can see the bottom of shallow end but nothing on deep end. You are telling me I need to keep at constant shock level based on CYA until pool is totally clear correct?
    Thanks
    Yep.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks !

6. Back To Top    #6

Also, keeping running that filter 24/7 until the process is complete. Filter time is so important.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes I always run my filter 24/7