Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noob/First time pool owner getting new liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Noob/First time pool owner getting new liner

Me and the wife purchased a foreclosed home in Alabama. The pool was horrible when we purchased it and we have been waiting on the new liner to come in. After a month of waiting, it is in and the pool company started pumping the water out. Wow at the stench from the pool!! This is our first pool so I will be visiting this site quite a bit. I was told the pool is a 20x40 True L. It is a saltwater pool with a Polaris Autoclear Plus setup. Not sure if the equipment is in working order or not. I turned the pumps on for a second and they came to life and the SWG panels lit up, so I am hoping all is well with it all. Here are a few pics before. I will be taking a bunch tomorrow as the new liner is going in.

31,000G IG vinyl 20X40 True L. Hayward 1.5 superpump, Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital SWG, Hayward Model S244T 300lb sand filter, TF100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Noob/First time pool owner getting new liner

Welcome!

You'll need to get on over to Pool School and do some reading. You'll only have a few days' grace period with the fresh fill, then the honeymoon's over.

But first...break out the plastic and get over to http://tftestkits.net. Order yourself a TF100 and some salt test strips. I recommend a speedstir as well, it's really cool. It will be the best money you'll ever spend on your pool. There is no way to keep tabs on your pool water without one. Troublefree is not Maintenancefree, although with a SWG and a robot, you're pretty darn close!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP. What part of the state are you in?

Heed Richard's advice. If you'll follow the advice found here you'll be surprised how easy it is to keep a trouble Free Pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

You've found the right place! People here are wonderful ... have fun watching your swamp become a pool

Looks like you'll soon be on your way to having a beautiful oasis... complete with the start of a cabana, bar or pool house in the back corner. You've got a nice blank slate to make your own. Looks like a fun project to me!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys! I've been doing some reading on and off in the Pool School. Started filling it with water so hopefully by Sunday it will be close to full. I am right outside of Montgomery. It has definitely been a transformation with the new liner. I was really hoping the Polaris was in the bottom, but it wasn't. So now I have to decide on what cleaner to get. The installer suggested the Tiger Shark, but it already has the booster pump installed so I'd hate to waste it. I am still trying to figure out what to do with the back corner. The previous owner only installed 3 posts so all I can think of is he was going to build a fireplace or something to support the rear corner. Electricity and water/drains are already ran out there so that is a plus. If you look at the last picture of them installing the liner, in front of the box you can see two pvc pipes sticking up. I believe he was planning on a water feature of some sort. There was a hot tub right there also, but they took that right before we closed.
    31,000G IG vinyl 20X40 True L. Hayward 1.5 superpump, Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital SWG, Hayward Model S244T 300lb sand filter, TF100 kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!!

The others who responded gave you the 'low down' on your situation, but we're always here to answer further questions you have
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

Up to the steps so far! Ordering my test kit today and then going to try to find a used pool cleaner somewhere. I don't have the cash to shell out for a new one at the moment.

8. Back To Top    #8

That's awesome.. Post back when you get your test kit and we'll help you if you need it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm sure I will need help. I know as much about pools as I do launching the space shuttle.

I do have a question. My pool should be full in the morning and I haven't tested the pumps or anything yet other than turning them on for a second to see if it all powered up. What do I need to do to test it? Pool company is supposed to come out and put salt and stuff in it but I am too anxious to wait. I have the big sand filter. I know the SWG won't show or do anything since no salt is in yet but I'd like to check and see if all is circulating like it should. Bear in mind nothing has been run for a year so do I need to flush or backwash? Thanks guys!

10. Back To Top    #10

Get the pool company to give you a complete list of exactly what they put into the pool. Some things they might add may not show up on test later (CYA) when your test kit comes so you want to be sure where you stand before you take over the operation. Ideally they will add chlorine and stabilizer and adjust alkalinity if needed. But you want to know what they tested, what they added, and what they were hoping to achieve with that.

What you need to test is the TF-100 test kit, only online from www.tftestkits.net. Delivery is really fast. If you are given a little blue box with tests for pH and chlorine, then you can order the kit without that part. BUT -- tend to that ASAP.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

11. Back To Top    #11

So far, they have 20 bags of salt and two pails of stabilizer that you can see in the last picture. I will definitely get a list of what they add and what they are trying to achieve. Nothing added yet. I am trying to order my test kit now, but the shipping part is messed up.

12. Back To Top    #12

Has the Pool finished filling yet?
    Purposed new pool at home being built- 20x40 vinyl pool, 20ft vinyl covered steps, Automatic cover, 6 ft sheer decent, 4 lighted deck jets, lime stone coping, easy touch, heat pump, SPA- 8x8 fiberglass shell, limestone steps surrounding
    previous home- 16 x 32 IG Vinyl- Install- Mid June 2011. 3ft Shallow 8ft Deep/ Totally Hayward 1HP pump/ 250 pound Sand/ AquaPro800 Heat pump/ Blue Hampton Liner/ 2 Intellibrite LED Lights/ Polaris 360/ 4 Deckjet II's/ 3ft concrete Apron/ 800 sq ft Paver Patio

13. Back To Top    #13

Yep it has! I shut the water off Sunday around lunch. Waiting on my test kit to come in tomorrow so I can get all the levels set and then do a great big bellyflop!!