Bubbles from single return jet

Sep 23, 2009
Hey everyone. The 2 years I've owned this house (and pool) I've noticed that one of the jets spits out a significant amount of small bubbles whenever the pump is running. It doesn't matter if the creepy is running or if I'm drawing from just the skimmer, just the main drain, or a mixture of both.
I've been trying to watch the water level, but that's tough with the hot, sunny weather we've been having. I lost about a 1/2 inch of water over the past few days but it was sunny and 39 Celsius (over 100 degrees) with the humidex. Between spillage from swimming/diving and evaporation it's tough to say how much water was "lost".
Another interesting thing is that the bubbles are coming from one single jet, and not the first one in line either. It's actually the 2nd one in line from the pump. Does that indicate an issue with that particular line then?
Ideas? Suggestions?

It's not a problem with a return line. Bubbles indicate a leak or water restriction before the pump. If your return plumbing was done properly, they all have nearly the same plumbing run to them from the pump, so it wouldn't be odd for the second return to have the bubbles.

Common causes are a pump strainer basket lid or pump drain plugs that need new O-rings or just need them lubed. Leaky valves or connections on the inlet side of the pump. Low water level or a sticky skimmer weir causing the skimmer to occasionally suck air.

Thanks for the reply JohnT,
I have main drain and a skimmer, which are controlled by a ball valve in my pool house. It makes no difference whether I bring the water in from the skimmer only, the main drain only, or a comination of both; the bubbles still come from the return. Does this indicate that it's something aside from a skimmer or main drain issue? If so, then you're saying it's likely an o-ring or seal at the pump's skimmer basket, the ball valve, or any of the connections/unions before the pump? I'll check those all out and see where that gets me.

If the air gets in regardless as to whether it's pulling from the MD or skimmer, one of the connections on the shared line is leaking, or the pump itself is. This is good news because the leak is above ground! (unless you have a shared skimmer and main drain line :pukel: ).

waste said:
If the air gets in regardless as to whether it's pulling from the MD or skimmer, one of the connections on the shared line is leaking, or the pump itself is. This is good news because the leak is above ground! (unless you have a shared skimmer and main drain line :pukel: ).
I have 2 lines that come up from the ground and into the ball valve that controls the skimmer/main drain, so safe to say that they're on separate lines. :)

All of this still doesn't explain my water loss, but we'll see about that. I just topped up 2 days ago and I'm waiting to see how much I lose over the next week or so. Maybe it was just evaporation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.