Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to understand the "why"

1. Back To Top    #1
    Columbia, TN

Need to understand the "why"

I am currently trying to clean my pool (again) due to my sand filter cracking and it not being replaced right away. I am following the shocking process, but I can't help but wonder something. My shock level is 15 and I can't help but wonder what would be wrong with just dumping twice the amount needed to get results faster. Everything I have read on this forum tells me not to do that, but I would like to understand the "why". It is so tempting to dump more so I don't have to keep checking every hour, but I know there is a reason why that is not a good idea.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone can explain this to me.

18x36 Grecian style vinyl 23,000 gal inground pool, Hayward Pro Series S220T sand filter, Hayward Super Pump 1 hp.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to understand the "why"

Excessive chlorine levels relative to the cyanuric acid level are not safe for people, or pool materials.

3. Back To Top    #3

You could do damage to your liner, your equipment, etc. Plus... I believe it's best to maintain a high level than to hit it hard, the algae will likely burn up the excess chlorine faster than it will do you good. There is a science to the madness.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.

4. Back To Top    #4

Plus chlorine is driven off by the sun as a percentage, with that percentage being related to the CYA level. So if you are going to lose 30% of your FC to the sun today, do you want to start from 25 ppm or from 50 ppm, if 25 ppm is what you need to have to shock the pool?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.