Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Baking Soda Question

Baking Soda Question

Hi, how much baking soda do I add to a 10,000 gallon above ground pool to raise the alkinility? It's at 50 now. The boxes I bought don't have any info.
    thanks.
    Gary

Re: Baking Soda Question

If you will visit http://www.thepoolcalculator.com, you can calculate the numbers by populating the appropriate fields.

Checking the numbers myself, it looks like 47 ounces by weight will raise it from 50 to 70.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

Before you go raising it, tell us more about why you feel you need to raise it?

Is your pH jumping around?
    Do you have a swcg?
    Are you using tablets to chlorinate your pool?
    Post a full set of test results for us.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Hi, my PH is good maybe a touch low but not bad. Chlorine level is good. alkinity tested at 50 which is low. what is swcg? i am using tablets to chlorinate.
    thanks gary

If you are using trichlor tablets, I suggest raising TA to around 150. You can use the Pool Calculator to figure out how much baking soda you need to add to do that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School