Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: my first results using the TF-100

1. Back To Top    #1

my first results using the TF-100

I rec'd my new test kit today and hopefully used it correctly. I followed the directions and came up with the following results:
    FC=4.5
    CC=4.5
    TC=9
    TA=120
    CH=300
    CYA=This was between the 30 and 20 mark

The water is clear however I still have a slight tint of green in the deep end. Can someone direct me in my next steps to help balance the water/clear up this green tint in the deep end of the pool?

thanks in advance
    30000 gal. L-Shape pool/1 1/2 hp Hayward Super Pump/S244T filter/Hayward Offline Chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: my first results using the TF-100

If you've got that much cc, you need to shock the pool!

Something is trying to grow and take hold.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

can you suggest how much bleach I should use to shock the pool with cc at that level?

thanks
    30000 gal. L-Shape pool/1 1/2 hp Hayward Super Pump/S244T filter/Hayward Offline Chlorinator

4. Back To Top    #4

76549 Liters -- Cartridge Filter -- In Ground -- Vinyl -- TF-100 Test Kit -- AquaVac Robotic Cleaner -- UV Sanitation -- Winter Safety Cover -- Installed 2010 -- Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Latest Test Results June 25:
    FC - 6, CC - 0, CYA - 40, CH - 110, TA - 90, pH - 7.5

5. Back To Top    #5

ok I have looked at the chlorine/cya shock chart............need a little help understanding the chart.
    can you give a brief example?
    thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

Well using your results, you start with your CYA reading, we'll go with the higher number 30.

Per the chart, if you look at the 30 and follow the row to the end, the Shock FC is 12ppm

Now if we go to the pool calculator and drop in your current FC 4.5, target FC 12, and pool volume 30,000 Gal.

The calculator states you need to add 467oz of 6% bleach solution. If your bleach is not 6%, adjust the concentration as necessary to calculate the proper amount to add.
    First time pool owner
    Inground Pool, Kidney Shaped, (86,000L) Vinyl
    Hayward 1HP Superpump, and Hayward Pro Series Sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Easy there! First lets make sure that's CC and not TC. Walk us through how you got that number.

You should have done the FC test using R-0870 then drops of R-0871 until it turned clear, then using the same sample you should have added 5 drops R-0003 and if it turned pink, you should have added drops of R-0871 until it turned clear again.

Is that how you did it?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

that is exactly how I completed the test........just as you described. one note is that when adding the on drop at a time it turned clear but about 20 seconds later it would turn back to pink so I would add another drop......repeated until it stayed clear. Is this correct? if so, then I guess 467 oz of bleach is in order.......correct?

9. Back To Top    #9

I've never had it take 20 seconds to return to pink but that sounds right.

At any rate you are right about needing to shock. I assume you're using the Pool Calc to come up with the amount. With a CC of 4.5 you're probably going to need lots of bleach to complete the shock process.

Remember, if the people at the store aren't looking at you funny when you leave, you didn't buy enough bleach.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

I am using the pool calc. at first did not really understand how to use it it but with help here I am starting to get it. I have a long way to go in my learning here as I have been so dependent on the pool store for so long. but this site is great and everyone seems very helpful. I am glad I stummbled onto this site. does 467 oz sound like alot or unheard of? if not how long should I keep people out of the pool after putting this much bleach in the water?
    thanks

11. Back To Top    #11

Sounds about right for the first blast of bleach. I'd keep people out of the pool until it's at least clear all the way down. Best to wait until the shocking is done and the rest of the water is balanced. You don't want anyone to get an ear infection or skin rashes.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

That doesn't sound like much for a 30k pool.

You can technically swim up to the shock level for your CYA but I would wait till you pass the OCLT to let anybody in the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

thanks........everyone has been a great help. I am sure I will be back with more questions.

thanks for all the timely responses