Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Total Alkalinity R-0009 question TF100/speedstir

1. Back To Top    #1

Total Alkalinity R-0009 question TF100/speedstir

Hi, I am using the TF100 and speedstir kit.

When performing the total alkalinity test, after about the 8th drop when i speedstir the solution it initially turns red, then back to green once it stops stirring.

It is only after the 14th drop that it stays red after stirring stops.

My question is, should the reading be 8*10 = 80 or 140? Do I use the "initial red" or "stays red" to indicate completion of the test?

Thanks so much,Aaron
    15'x30' 10K gal, in-ground, cartridge filter, waterfall, spa, The Pool Cleaner, Purex Triton 250 heater, pool built ~1999.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Total Alkalinity R-0009 question TF100/speedstir

Once it stays red, that is your result.

3. Back To Top    #3

The initial red is from localized portions of the water sample where you've added the acid drops exhausting the TA buffer, but as soon as that mixes with the rest of the sample, the pH rises back up to return to green. It's an indication that you're getting closer to the end, but you probably noticed that more and more of the sample seemed to "turn" as you got even closer to the end. It's only when the entire sample gets mixed with the drops you've been adding and stays red that this is the end of the test. The next drop you add should not change the hue and you don't count that drop (i.e. you count up to and including the last drop that causes a change in appearance).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

awesome...thanks for the quick response! Looks like I have a little problem since T/A is 140!! (
    15'x30' 10K gal, in-ground, cartridge filter, waterfall, spa, The Pool Cleaner, Purex Triton 250 heater, pool built ~1999.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by AB
    awesome...thanks for the quick response! Looks like I have a little problem since T/A is 140!! (
    Not really. What does the pool look like? What are the other numbers? If you have high pH and high CH, that high TA can push the CSI into scaling territory. If CSI is okay, the TA will come down eventually if you keep adjusting pH.

It's only a problem if you're at risk of scaling; there's no health concern with it; the high TA came from the tap water, and you bathe in the same stuff and drink it!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Richard,
    ph is between 7.8 and 8.2 (cant quite determine the "pink" vs "orange" differentiation on the test kit). CYA at 40. I will check the CH now.
    Thanks, Aaron

7. Back To Top    #7

Keep in mind that as you lower your pH (which you should do now) your TA will come down. There's no rush in adjusting it.

Go ahead and post a full set of test results.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi guys,
    my results:
    CH = 190
    CYA = 40
    T/A = 140
    ph = 7.9

Thanks for your help...pls let me know if I need to give you more results.
    Aaron

9. Back To Top    #9

Assuming you aren't using trichlor tablets, you want to lower PH to around 7.2 any time it gets to 7.8, at least until TA comes down some more.

If this is a plaster/pebble pool, you should raise the CH level to at least 250.

You didn't say what your FC and CC levels were.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Sorry! That would help. Yes, it is a plaster pool.
    FC = 8.5
    CC = 1

I just put 15 oz muriatic acid in the pool so I will check pH tomorrow morning and let you know.
    Thanks, Aaron