Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time tester!!

1. Back To Top    #1

First time tester!!

I got my new TFtest kit today. Bought the heavy duty XL edition. Opened pool on Memorial day weekend to a green monster. Hit it with 6 lb shock and it boiled up nice with dead stuff on the top. Got water tested at pool store and had these numbers
    FC=.5
    TC=1
    CC=.5
    pH=8.9 yikes
    Hardness=160 ppm
    Alkalinity=280 ppm yikes
    Cya=10
    Salt = 2510
    temp=81

Added three bags of salt, 4 lbs stabilizer and set to super chlorinate.

Tested today with my new chemistry set and things looked like this
    FC=1
    CC= not tested
    TC=1
    pH=above 8.2 yikes again
    TA=320+
    CYA=55
    temp=88

Pump bit the bullet today so no circulation. New one tomorrow and I will get another store test while I am there to see if my numbers are close..
    Clearing up nice but still a little cloudy with some debris on bottom. After new pump will vacuum tomorrow. Slowly but surely getting it there. Thanks for all the help. TOM
    Trenton, IL (St. Louis Area)
    TF-100 test kit, 18,000 gallon, 18x33 oval Johnny Weismuller, AG, Jacuzzi Lazer sand filter, AquaTrol SWG, 1.5 HP Pentair pump that runs constantly.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time tester!!

I'm sorry to hear about your pump.

You need to bring the PH down as soon as you get the pump working again.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Jason, I have the acid ready as soon as we are circulating again.
    TF-100 test kit, 18,000 gallon, 18x33 oval Johnny Weismuller, AG, Jacuzzi Lazer sand filter, AquaTrol SWG, 1.5 HP Pentair pump that runs constantly.

4. Back To Top    #4

New pump. 1.5hp pentair. Arghh.
    Tested today.
    FC=15.5 SWG is obviously working again after super chlorinate. Bigger pump have an impact?
    CC=0
    TC=15.5
    pH=8.2+
    T/A=180? On the test does the entire vial need to turn red? Or just when you add the drop? Drop turns red for just a bit and then disappears.
    CYA=80
    Temp=77

We had 2 inches of rain over the weekend and the pool water dropped almost 10 degrees in two days. Water is crystal clear but I just cannot get the pH to cooperate.

5. Back To Top    #5

pH won't read accurately with FC that high. If you're done shocking (clear, CC<.5, paased OCLT) let the FC come down below 10, then adjust it. With your TA, it's going to pop right back up for a while, so get used to pH testing and adding acid frequently.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

but I just cannot get the pH to cooperate.
    Then you must make it cooperate.

Let your FC drift down below 10ppm so you can get an accurate test.

Then test and lower your pH. The answer is muriatic acid and you can dose it every hour until it get into the mid 7's.

I would not address anything else until the pH is lowered.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Chlorine is back in range (3). pH still high (8+). Turned SWG to 10% output and the pump runs 24/7. Added acid last night will check again this evening. Question on the TA test. Does the entire cylinder of test water need to stay red after the drop, or just the drop that hits the water? Thanks for all the help. Water is crystal clear but high pH.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, the entire cylinder should turn red. You continue to add drops until there is no change in the color, then subtract the last drop before calculating the results.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

FC = 2.5
    pH = 7.8
    Starting to notice scale accumulation on bottom. Hardness problem?
    Will test again this evening, supposed to be near 100 degrees all weekend.
    Pool will be a popular place the next few days.

10. Back To Top    #10

How often should I replace the chemicals in my test kit? This will be the third year and I would bet that they are about shot. TOM

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

I got my new TFtest kit today. Bought the heavy duty XL edition.
    How often should I replace the chemicals in my test kit? This will be the third year and I would bet that they are about shot. TOM
    ???????
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

first post June 2011.....
    32000 gallon, inground, fiberglass, Aqua-Rite SWG, Pentair 420 sqft cartridge filter (Installed-ya baby), Hayward Super II pump 1.5 hp, 144k BTU heat pump, Dolphin Dx5 Plus, and a good test kit from Duraleigh!

13. Back To Top    #13

You must not test much if you still have some left!

Too bad you missed the preseason refill sale. I'd replace things now.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

14. Back To Top    #14

It is really just the chlorine drop test kit that I am wondering about. The rest of the kit seems to be fine.