Leaking pool with incorrect setup

Hi. (Hope this is in the right place otherwise feel free to move it)

I have recently inherited the job of cleaning a pool at a newly completed rental property. The owners are aware that the pool has leaks, but don't seem to want to fix them immediately due to legal action going on with the builder (not me!)

So the details are like this. Its a pool which was built with the intention of being an overflow from one pool to another. The small pool (about 9,000 gallons) does not leak and is suppose to overflow into the basin pool (about 15,000 gallons) which has the leak. The original builder set up the pool with 3 pumps. 1 pump with a Haywood sand filter to circulate the larger pool, 1 pump with haywood sand filter to circulate the smaller pool and a pump with no filter to move over from the large pool to the small pool.

The owners don't like to run the overflow as its to noisy (why have it built in the first place, right!) so i have initially not ran it, although the rental agent turns it on all the time. So one minute its like having two pools with separate chemisty and then its like having two with identical chemistry. It uses one SWG per pool.

So first question, which is quite simple. There is no way i can managed a pool if one minute its two sets of chemisty and then next its one set, right?

The next crazy thing is the small pool doesn't have a skimmer so running as individual pools mean it only has a drain to circulate, add this to the fact the pools are triangles with sharp points, its got Algae in the points of the pools. So as the pool are, it need to be a overflow right? Do you need a skimmer even if it is overflowing?

And lastly, with the large pool leaking, can i realistically manage the chemisty?

I personally would love to drop the contract, but its my boss to make that call. So please feel free to give me your comments and even state if you a pool professional so i can back up what you say (don't worry i won't give your details if you quote as a professional)

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Welcome to TFP!!

An 'overflow' pool or spa doesn't need a skimmer because the overflow 'washes' surface debris into the main pool for it's skimmers to pick up.

Sounds like you've got a big' ol can o' worms :( It also sounds like whoever designed the pools was having a VERY good night before they were planned :roll:

You can certainly manage the pools as they are (it's just a PITA and I wouldn't want to have to do it either :) ) If you do have to keep these going, CHARGE MORE!! (that's me talking as a pool pro).

It seems to me that you need to find and fix the leak, as that will allow you to care for these pools in a more reasonable manner.

Here is a few photos i took today. Hope this helps.

@ Bama - I'm looking for advice from anyone who has an opinion, just thought if anyone was professional they could say so, then i can tell my boss all these "pros" say this is the best thing to do.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    450.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    492.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    341.8 KB · Views: 71
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.