Is it okay to toss tablets in pool?

Jun 9, 2011
I'm really excited to start trying the BBB method....in the meantime before i get started with bleach, the previous owner left several buckets of tablets...I've been using them in floaters for the last month or so, but the water is looking a little cloudy....is it okay to toss 5-6 whole tablets freely into the water to get a quick shock effect? does a free floating tablet that's breaking up into chunks do any damage or is it basically the equivalent of pouring in a bunch of liquid bleach? I want to get the water chlorinated quickly so I can begin figuring out what's needed, plus there's some slight algae started in a couple of areas I want to nip in the bud now....what would happen if I tossed in 10-15 tablets freely into the water? as you can see I'm just starting out in this pool stuff!

I wouldn't advise it either. Plus, the pucks are meant to dissolve slowly, so won't give the effect you're after. Just go pick up some bleach and get 'er done!

thanks for the feedback! I think i'll revise my idea of tossing in a bunch of tablets! it's not a vinyl liner, but even if the pucks sink, they probably would indeed just sit there on the bottom and dissolve too slowly to get the shock effect I'm after....

Posting a full set of test results will get you the most help!

Also, as they said, no tossing of tabs into pool. Bad idea.

Have you seen Pool School? Big white button at top right of page. Priceless :-D

Welcome to the forum :wave:

ACK!!

I did this once. Before educating myself on anything at all, my home grown idea for winterizing my pool was to toss a couple pucks in the deep end.

Concrete pool.

I will say that he pucks DID manage to keep the area directly beneath them nice and white... That's about all they did.

I pulled them out whole as I was cleaning my swamp the following summer.

Can't see if you have a vinyl or gunite pool, but don't do it.

Vinyl will bleach - leaving an irreversible light hockey-puck area where the puck dissolved.

Worse if it is plaster - pucks are highly acidic... they will permanantly etch the plaster where they sit, and if there's no circulation, you'll see a "drooling" around/downward from where the puck sat. Cleared many-a-pool, only to find pucks, or the tell-tail damage they did on the bottom where the owners panicked when the pool went green and tossed them in.

Please don't do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.