Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it okay to toss tablets in pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it okay to toss tablets in pool?

I'm really excited to start trying the BBB method....in the meantime before i get started with bleach, the previous owner left several buckets of tablets...I've been using them in floaters for the last month or so, but the water is looking a little cloudy....is it okay to toss 5-6 whole tablets freely into the water to get a quick shock effect? does a free floating tablet that's breaking up into chunks do any damage or is it basically the equivalent of pouring in a bunch of liquid bleach? I want to get the water chlorinated quickly so I can begin figuring out what's needed, plus there's some slight algae started in a couple of areas I want to nip in the bud now....what would happen if I tossed in 10-15 tablets freely into the water? as you can see I'm just starting out in this pool stuff!
    -Dan-
    St. Louis, MO
    20,000 gallon vinyl in-ground pool (old-maybe 20yrs?!) - new sand filter (20 GPM) and motor (1.4 HP) - Taylor K-2006 test kit - bought the house w/pool summer 2010 - still learning - thinking about converting to salt

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is it okay to toss tablets in pool?

Pretty sure they'll sink. Then they'll lay at the bottom, and if you have a vinyl liner, you'll have a bleached-out polka-dotted liner.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

3. Back To Top    #3

I wouldn't advise it either. Plus, the pucks are meant to dissolve slowly, so won't give the effect you're after. Just go pick up some bleach and get 'er done!
    Chris A.
    20x40 36k gal IG vinyl pool w/diving board & slide | 1.25HP Pentair Challenger motor & pump | 30" Triton TR100 sand filter | Pentair SM-20-3 multiport | Stenner 45MHP2 Peristaltic Pump & 13 gallon carboy (BBB) | Hayward CL200 Tablet Chlorinator (used on pool startup) | TF-100 | 2003 Sundance 850 Altamar hot tub

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the feedback! I think i'll revise my idea of tossing in a bunch of tablets! it's not a vinyl liner, but even if the pucks sink, they probably would indeed just sit there on the bottom and dissolve too slowly to get the shock effect I'm after....
    -Dan-
    St. Louis, MO
    20,000 gallon vinyl in-ground pool (old-maybe 20yrs?!) - new sand filter (20 GPM) and motor (1.4 HP) - Taylor K-2006 test kit - bought the house w/pool summer 2010 - still learning - thinking about converting to salt

5. Back To Top    #5

Posting a full set of test results will get you the most help!

Also, as they said, no tossing of tabs into pool. Bad idea.

Have you seen Pool School? Big white button at top right of page. Priceless

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

ACK!!

I did this once. Before educating myself on anything at all, my home grown idea for winterizing my pool was to toss a couple pucks in the deep end.

Concrete pool.

I will say that he pucks DID manage to keep the area directly beneath them nice and white... That's about all they did.

I pulled them out whole as I was cleaning my swamp the following summer.

7. Back To Top    #7

Can't see if you have a vinyl or gunite pool, but don't do it.

Vinyl will bleach - leaving an irreversible light hockey-puck area where the puck dissolved.

Worse if it is plaster - pucks are highly acidic... they will permanantly etch the plaster where they sit, and if there's no circulation, you'll see a "drooling" around/downward from where the puck sat. Cleared many-a-pool, only to find pucks, or the tell-tail damage they did on the bottom where the owners panicked when the pool went green and tossed them in.

Please don't do it.
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)