Pool pump is leaking!

vik

Jun 4, 2011
The water is coming out from where the basket housing and pump meet. There are no bubbles in the line either in the suction or pressure end of the system.

I thought it might be the seal assembly behind the impeller but I replaced the seal assembly and it's still leaking.

I have no idea why it's still leaking. It could be that I didn't put the pump back together properly or it could be something else.

Any help/input would be much appreciated.

What I did (Hayward Super Pump):
1. Took the impeller off.
2. Removed the old seal.
3. Installed the new seal.
4. Screwed the impeller back on.
5. Reattached the diffuser.
6. Reconnected the pump to the basket housing.

Here are some pics.

I don't think it's a cracked back plate as it doesn't look cracked anywhere. The seal is brand new. So I don't think it could be the seal.

I guess it could be the o-ring but that wouldn't explain the leak between the motor and the back plate.

ph_or_115478_11de321.jpg

ph_or_115475_862b142.jpg

ph_or_115476_558b10a.jpg

ph_or_115477_98bc98c.jpg

I've done so 3 times and noticed nothing but I'll try again.

It's odd though. The water seems to be coming from inside the motor. Is it possible that there's a leak behind the back plate?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm positive. With the amount of water coming out some of it would have to be spilling down the basket housing. Also that area isn't wet.

Is it possible that I ruined the seal enough to make it completely ineffective in the process of installing it?

The faces of the seal look fine. No visible damage but it's possible that the surface is wavy.

I went to my local pool store and the people there said that opening the pump up after installing the new seal ruined the seal and I have to put a whole new one in. It is true that it started leaking more after I opened it up to check the new seal. However, I opened it up again only because it was still leaking.

I took their advice anyway and bought another seal and put it in just now. It's still leaking. I also noticed some water coming out the rear vent of the pump. So now there's water coming out of the front side vents and the rear vents as well as the bottom. I'm at a loss.

I think the pump is done. I'll call Hayward and see if they'll give me a new one. If not, I'll have to buy a new pump :(

I'm betting it's something besides the seal. I still lean toward the plate being cracked or a thru bolt not being sealed.

It's pretty easy for water to run down the motor casing and run out the back of the motor.

Before I proceed, thanks for all your help so far. I really appreciate it.

First, I'm guessing by back plate you mean the motor mounting plate? If so, I can try replacing that. I don't see any cracks but I guess it could be so fine that it only opens up under pressure. I really don't want to buy a whole new pump ($700)...

Second, how bad would it be to let it run even though it's leaking? I need to get my pool clean and clear by July 2nd...

Thanks again.

I'd say upwards of 500 gallons a day (8 hours) at it's current rate. As much as a 1000 gallons if my estimate is too conservative. It's definitely flowing, not dripping.

I just read on google that if you run your pump with a non-functioning seal that the motor bearing will corrode. If the seal is working and it's leaking from somewhere else, the motor bearing should be fine right? I don't mind if the consequence is just water loss but if it's going to damage the bearing or other parts...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.