CH is 410, PB is supposed to balance water. Is this o.k.?

My new pool has been a challenge and my PB has done almost nothing to help. So far they have been strictly following our contract except for the part where they are supposed to balance the water as stated in the contract. Their balanced parameters are a bit off from the recommendations here but they are in the ballpark. Instead of bringing in water the PB used locally sourced water that was nowhere near ideal.

Current readings:
FC 30, I'm shocking
TA 110
CH 410
pH 7.6
CYA 75-80
Borates 50

My house's softened water has a TA of 200. If I use well water it is full of iron. To lower CH I'm supposed to replace water but that would drive my TA back up. I started with a TA of 250 and it has taken me gallons of acid and a huge amount of time to get it down. Should I accept the CH of 410 or should I insist that the PB bring in water to get it within range? I'm still miffed that when I decided to add a heater after the contract was signed the PB wanted $450 plus materials to install and I ended up having to do the work myself. Is it unfair of me to insist that they deliver what they promised or is the CH 410 inconsequential?

Re: CH is 410, PB is supposed to balance water. Is this o.k.

I am not the end all expert however misleading numbers on CH are often reported. Other numbers look OK. Did they fill the pool with Potable (drinking water). ? This is standard practice in New England.

I also started using an inline water filter for my fill water as I have a well and I watched my neighbors pool go bad by adding fill over 4-5 years.

I am using a Lamotte ColorQ test kit, and although many question the numbers I believe that Lamotte knows water testing and would not
release a bogus product. I use new regents and expect an error factor with any test kit. With that said I do plan on buying a TF test kit just so I can speak the same numbers to those on this board and to cross check.

Re: CH is 410, PB is supposed to balance water. Is this o.k.

It kinda depends on where you live. If you live in Alkali Flat, New Mexico, I suspect 410 is about as low as you'll ever see CH. Likewise in most of California, Arizona, Nevada...

It's manageable. I've never had CH that low since I bought my house 1½ years ago! Drive that TA down until CSI is safe. Pool Calculator will give the CSI. I sure hope you have a speedstir, because when you get into numbers that high, it can take a while. I use a 10 ml sample; less reagent that way. Do you care if you get 400 or 425 instead of 410? I don't. It can take a long long time, even letting speedstir do the work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.