Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH is 410, PB is supposed to balance water. Is this o.k.?

1. Back To Top    #1

CH is 410, PB is supposed to balance water. Is this o.k.?

My new pool has been a challenge and my PB has done almost nothing to help. So far they have been strictly following our contract except for the part where they are supposed to balance the water as stated in the contract. Their balanced parameters are a bit off from the recommendations here but they are in the ballpark. Instead of bringing in water the PB used locally sourced water that was nowhere near ideal.

Current readings:
    FC 30, I'm shocking
    TA 110
    CH 410
    pH 7.6
    CYA 75-80
    Borates 50

My house's softened water has a TA of 200. If I use well water it is full of iron. To lower CH I'm supposed to replace water but that would drive my TA back up. I started with a TA of 250 and it has taken me gallons of acid and a huge amount of time to get it down. Should I accept the CH of 410 or should I insist that the PB bring in water to get it within range? I'm still miffed that when I decided to add a heater after the contract was signed the PB wanted $450 plus materials to install and I ended up having to do the work myself. Is it unfair of me to insist that they deliver what they promised or is the CH 410 inconsequential?
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: CH is 410, PB is supposed to balance water. Is this o.k.

I am not the end all expert however misleading numbers on CH are often reported. Other numbers look OK. Did they fill the pool with Potable (drinking water). ? This is standard practice in New England.

I also started using an inline water filter for my fill water as I have a well and I watched my neighbors pool go bad by adding fill over 4-5 years.

I am using a Lamotte ColorQ test kit, and although many question the numbers I believe that Lamotte knows water testing and would not
    release a bogus product. I use new regents and expect an error factor with any test kit. With that said I do plan on buying a TF test kit just so I can speak the same numbers to those on this board and to cross check.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

It kinda depends on where you live. If you live in Alkali Flat, New Mexico, I suspect 410 is about as low as you'll ever see CH. Likewise in most of California, Arizona, Nevada...

It's manageable. I've never had CH that low since I bought my house 1½ years ago! Drive that TA down until CSI is safe. Pool Calculator will give the CSI. I sure hope you have a speedstir, because when you get into numbers that high, it can take a while. I use a 10 ml sample; less reagent that way. Do you care if you get 400 or 425 instead of 410? I don't. It can take a long long time, even letting speedstir do the work.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm in NC. I ordered a speedstir from another company after getting my TF100; it was backordered.

I hadn't noticed that CSI on the calculator, I'm at .05.
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir