Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: non stop plumes of sand shooting in pool. party tmmrw

1. Back To Top    #1

non stop plumes of sand shooting in pool. party tmmrw

every time i turn the pump on giant plumes of sand shoot into the pool. what do i do. im gonna sifon the sand the sand from the bottom but what do i do about the filter.
    24' X 52" round above ground pool---13,500 gallons---Hayward power flow matrix 1.5 hp pump---Hayward 21 in. variflow XL sandfilter---Louisville, Ky

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: non stop plumes of sand shooting in pool. party tmmrw

You may have a broken lateral...hard to tell unless you take it apart.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

so should i take the sand filter apart and check it out. and get back with you. i will say that the very first time i turned the pump on this year (yesterday) a small plume of sand went into the pool and that was it. then i tried to vacuum the sand up witch clogged the pump (just now fixed that) and now every time i turn on the pump sand blows in. i will get back with ya when i take the sand filter apart.
    24' X 52" round above ground pool---13,500 gallons---Hayward power flow matrix 1.5 hp pump---Hayward 21 in. variflow XL sandfilter---Louisville, Ky

4. Back To Top    #4

I took it apart and there is a large crack going all the way down the long vertical piece going into the sand filter!

5. Back To Top    #5

You'll need to replace that then. I bet that solves your problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

yeah im gonna take all the sand out and replace the lateral and put in new sand. seems like an easy fix!!

7. Back To Top    #7

well i thought i could just buy the lateral (pipe piece). evidently you have to buy the whole assembly. now i gotta spend $70 bucks on the darned thing. never ending. pretty sonn there wont be anything to replace .....LOL

8. Back To Top    #8

Kinda like fixing something on your car. One thing leads to another, leads to another, leads to another.... Now you're making me sad!

Once you get it all replaced/repaired then it'll be smooth sailing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit