Pump partially losing prime

Jun 9, 2011
POOL SETUP:

12,500 Gallon Marcite Pool
Hayward Max-Flo II Pump
Hayward Sand Filter
Hayward Salt Chlorinator
Equipment replaced and resurfaced March 2010.

POOL SCENARIO:

I recently discovered my pump is losing partial prime every 15-20 seconds. The leaf basket water level drops to about half, then slowly refills. The process repeats about 10 seconds later. The return jets constantly produce a large number of air bubbles. I have replaced the leaf basket gasket, inspected and silicone lubricated the O-ring in front of the pump. I have tested for leaks on the suction side by running a hose over every above ground connection and using shaving cream. I have turned the pump on and off to see if water leaks from anywhere but nothing. I now suspect it is a broken pipe below ground. I have one pipe from the pump leading below ground.

Can this possible be anything other then a broken pipe below ground? Such as pump seal, clogged line, etc?

I have not been running the pump since this problem for fear of burning out the pump, as such the pool is now green. I have contacted a leak detection company but they will only pressure test the line and not do a through inspection until the pool is clear. Can I safely run the pump in this fashion without damaging it? Are there any other tests I can run to help determine if a break exists and where?

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Kevin

Have you checked the skimmer & weir to make sure it's not creating a vortex and to make sure the weir isn't sticking even a little bit?

You could run a temporary suction from the pool to the pump and see if that fixes the problem.

I visually checked the skimmer and weir while the pump was running and no air is getting sucked from the the skimmer entry point. Can you explain how to setup a temporary suction from the pool to pump.

Thanks,
Kevin

If it's not very far I'd get a length of suction hose from Lowes, etc. and put one ind in the water and hook the other end to the pump suction. That way you could run the pump and see if the bubbles continue. That'll tell you if it's the underground piping.

Waste - Thanks for the welcome.

Bama - Your advice worked great.

I have setup an above ground PVC connection from the pump to the pool and the problem has disappeared. I still have air bubbles coming out of the jets and more then normal air at the top of the leaf basket when the pump is running. However, I used some threaded elbows in my new PVC piping and have not properly sealed them which could be the problem.

Could the air have to do with anything within the pump? I have read that with some pumps, seals that go bad can cause air in the jets but typically not within the leaf basket.

My next steps will be to get the pool clear and dig up the ground in front of the pump. When the pool equipment was replaced in 2010. The contractor mentioned the original piping was 1" and he used 1.5" from somewhere below ground to the new equipment. I am hoping the problem is at his work and not below my deck.

Kevin

Hey guys, I'm new here but I wanted to add to JasonLion's point. If the gasket attached to the lid of the pump strainer basket has stretched, you won't be able to get a complete seal. Believe it or not, I cut the excess from the gasket, used a little vasoline on the edges and carefully fit the lid back on the basket. The result was a complete seal in place of a steady leak.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.