Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex Sand Filter w/ SWG and stupid Copper

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex Sand Filter w/ SWG and stupid Copper

So, I find this great deal on a new Intex Sand Filter pump w/ an inline SWG, but it also has the copper ionizer thing. It's an upgrade from the original pump cartridge system with SWG (no copper--and no its not for sale just yet!). I'm done with the paper cartridges and bad filtration. I've loved the SWG on the old unit, but now I'm freaking out about the copper. The new pump should be here by tomorrow. I've read about disconnecting the copper ionizer from other intex units, but not this one. I've looked at the manual for this one and it looks like there's only one plug for the copper ionizer and the SWG. So, if I unplug that, I don't have the SWG either. They attach to the unit pretty much in one piece and the whole assembly isn't very big. I think its all clear plastic, so at least I can see what's in there. I'll have a better idea of how it works when it arrives. Anyone else have this unit and have successfully removed the copper producing parts? I really should have read more before I bought... I was just frustrated trying to get this pool back to normal this year and sick of battling the old system, and $379 for a 2650 gph saltwater system and sand filter pump system that fit my existing connections sounded like a plan.
    09 Intex 18x52 Ultra Frame SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex Sand Filter w/ SWG and stupid Copper

The copper on that system is a separate part. You can either unplug the connector or you can remove the copper section completely.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Newb here. Why do you not want the copper peice in there??
    My pool:
    15x30 inground concrete pool w/spa and spillover, all under screen enclosure
    Hayward C1200 StarClear Plus Cartridge Filter
    Jandy Laars LX400 propane heater w/120 gal above-ground tank
    Jandy AquaLink RS OneTouch controller w/PDA remotes and computer control
    JVAs control pool/spa switch and also allow drain opening
    Hayward Navigator

4. Back To Top    #4

Good question...too much copper can cause staining, both of the pool, water and hair

It will likely not raise copper levels by that much, but we like to avoid the stuff all together

here is and interesting link from pool school

alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! That's reassuring. I just saw the one plug for the SWG and copper section on the picture. As long as I can take it off of there, that's great.

As for the why question... I've learned through this website and a predecessor site to keep it simple when it comes to pool chemicals. Less is better. I've maintained a beautiful pool for many years using the BBB method. I now have a SWG, but still rely on the occasional blast of liquid bleach when necessary. Copper is definitely going to turn my light hair green. On this unit, if the SWG is running, the copper ionizer is also running--no way to just run one to have better control over the levels of chlorine and copper. If the copper level gets too high, its either drain and/or add more chemicals. And that would be just one more test I have to do. It is also absorbed through the skin. I doubt the level in the pool would be of any harm, but I'd constantly be testing to make sure. Just sounds like an unnecessary item to add to the mix.
    09 Intex 18x52 Ultra Frame SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

That's what BBB is all about. Keep it simple and know what's going on with your water....Now you have definately read pool school
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator