Help! Want to convert soon!

mindy1978

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 17, 2011
So, for some reason I thought it would be a great idea to switch from chlorine to a biguinide system this year. Wish I would have found this forum before that decision was made. I have been living at the pool store trying to get my chemicals balanced, already spent more on chemicals in a few weeks than all summer using chlorine...I am so mad at myself because I don't really have all of this money to spend...

So to cut my losses, I need to switch back! Unfortunately, that may mean even more time not using the pool, but I don't feel I have a choice. I spend so much time messing with the pool now, worrying about the chemicals.

I just want to go back to my mineral pack and pool frog system.

So I see that I need a test kit, and I was wondering how soon I would receive a kit if I ordered it? Leslie's could order one for me, but it would take 7 days and I really want to start this process asap. So, what are my options?

I have read the instructions, but I don't really understand the calculator. I have an inground pool with around 19K gallons of water. What do I need to get started right away?

Thanks so much!

Mindy

Welcome to TFP!

If you want to have fewer problems, you'll never use a mineral system like the Frog or the Nature2. These add metals to the water, cause staining, and cause interesting hair colors. They are also expensive and they don't change the need for chlorine one single bit.

If you ordered a TF-100 from www.tftestkits.net, you would have it in your hands in 2 to 3 days.

The BBB system, in absence of a SWCG system, would be the way for you to go. Here is a link to get you started down the conversion pathway. :goodjob:

pool-school/baqua_chlorine_conversion

Out of the frying pan and into the fire! Baquacil to pool frog isn't really much of a step up.

Order a kit from http://tftestkits.net. I recommend the TF100 with the XL option and the speedstir. Even in California, I get my refills in less than a week.

I'd say you need to get over to Pool School and read until your brain is full and your eyes are blurry. Then repeat it the next night, over and over until it makes sense. What you need to get started right away is a test kit. You really can't calculate how much of what you need without knowing what you have already.

I have a hunch that you may have a difficult time, because you will have leftovers from the mineral packs as well as baquagoo to contend with.

Well, if I wasn't scared, now I am. Would you recommend just sticking with the biguinide system and converting at the end of the summer? We haven't used the mineral pack at all this year, but if converting could mean a month of no pool, my kids would go crazy and my husband might kill me.

Ugghhhh!! What was I thinking?!?

mindy1978 said:
Well, if I wasn't scared, now I am. Would you recommend just sticking with the biguinide system and converting at the end of the summer? We haven't used the mineral pack at all this year, but if converting could mean a month of no pool, my kids would go crazy and my husband might kill me.

Ugghhhh!! What was I thinking?!?
Nope. The conversion can probably be done in a week more-or-less, if you are diligent with it. That means frequent tests, frequent replenishing chlorine, brushing a lot (people pay big money to go to a gym to tone their arms, this is free), backflushing as necessary, no shortcuts, and not letting up until it's done.

I'm just worried that you'll get rid of the baquacil but still have colored water because of the metals in those mineral packs. Or high CYA from the pool frog will stall you. Test results are really essential.

You can spend a few minutes in the Baquacil forum goping through old threads. Look for a tiny paperclip
icon_topic_attach.gif
to show you which threads have pictures. These may help reassure you that it can be done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.