Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help Pool is Frustrating Me

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Pool is Frustrating Me

Pool Cover taken off 5-28-11

Got Sand Filter running and vacuumed pool.
    Pool was green and pond looking.
    12 hours later added 40 ozs of Green Out with 4 lbs of granular shock it.
    Ph was high don't know exact at this point.
    Added 40 ozs of ph Down (Aqua Chem)
    Added 20 ozs ph down
    Added some more shock it 2lbs
    Took sample to pool store:
    Fc/Tc: .6/5.6
    pH 10
    TA 70
    CH 200
    CYN 40

Suggestions from pool store:
    Add 12 lbs sodium bicarbonate- Wait 30 mins
    Add ¾ gallon of Muriatic acid-Wait 1 Hr
    Add 10 lbs of Granular chlorine Brush pool
    Add 10 lbs of Granular chlorine Brush Pool
    Bring sample back Wed 6-1-11

I took sample back on 6-2-11

Fc/Tc: 14/14
    pH: 7.6
    TA: 80
    CH: 175
    CYN: 70
    Phos: 500 ppb

Pool store suggestions:
    Make sure pool is pulling from both main drain and skimmer.
    Balance is OK but Phos is getting high. If pool does not get clearer in 48
    Hrs, we will need to floc the pool and add a borate

Waited 48 hrs back to pool store on 6-4-11
    Fc/Tc: 4/4
    pH: 7.4
    CH: 200
    CYN: 40
    Phos: 500
    Pool store suggestions:
    Add 12 lbs of sodium bicarbonates-wait 1 hr
    Add 16 ozs of phosphate remover (Sea Klear) wait 24 hrs
    Add 10 ozs of polysheen blue (biochem)

Where I am now is a white particle which I assume is algae floating in the pool.
    Pool color is Blue and measurables are pretty good, do I need to floc out the particles
    so they will fall out to be vacuumed? Really seems to be the only thing keeping pool from
    being right. Help would be really appreciated, I am confused on what to do next.

25000 gal- In Ground pool plaster with Sand filter Not sure of pump specs

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Help Pool is Frustrating Me

Did you add the phosphate remover? That usually causes the pool to cloud up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes but it was cloudy before the phosphate remover was added this
    was the pool store suggestions to uncloud it.

4. Back To Top    #4

Coastalish 'down easter'

Welcome to TFP!!

Was the 'Green Out' a bromine product? (I suspect it was) Also, given your CYA rise, I think the dry shock is di-chlor - PLEASE stop using it! (looking back at your results, the cya is going from 40 to 70 then back to 40 - you need to get a good test kit and start doing your own testing!!!)

Check out the CYA v.s chlorine chart in my sig. and see how you are doing, as per having enough active chlorine in the pool (and if I'm right about the 'Green Out', your fc is ~ 1/2 of what you think it is )

We can help you with this, but you need to help yourself by taking control of your testing and knowing what chems you are using to dose the pool
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the welcome.
    Yeah I got a test kit today TF-100 so I can do my own.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Denham Springs, Louisiana

Welcome to TFP!

Now that you've gotten the TF-100 your frustration should go down! Post back with a full set of YOUR results and the folks here will have you sparkly in no time!
    10,408 gallon, 21' round, 52 in' deep AG, half in ground
    Artesian Clear Master Plus Sand Filter, Artesian Turbo King 2 hp pump, installed June 08
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Pics taken 2012 ... CN0606.jpg ... CN0607.jpg

7. Back To Top    #7

Clearwater, FL.

The TF-100 kit is the one I got too!
    My own test results were way different than the pool store readings!
    Post what your test results are here, and we can help you get to a really nice pool in mostly a short order.
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

8. Back To Top    #8

OK first numbers with TF-100

Hope I did it right Small amount of white particles which to me is where a lot of the white cloudiness
    is coming from. If I could get it to fall out, I should be able to vacuum out. Suggest ions

9. Back To Top    #9
    Portland, Oregon

Maybe the cloudy water is giving you issues with the CYA reading? I too noticed the bouncing around on CYA from the pool store results, and the CH. Those two things stay fairly constant if you're not draining and refilling. Someone else prolly knows better but maybe you could take a sample of the water, let it sit for a while while any particles fall to the bottom and re-test for CYA? Knowing that number makes all the difference in how much chlorine you'll need for minimum and target, not to mention shocking. You still have chloramines, so more shocking seems like the next step but unless you know what the CYA level is, you may miss your shock target level and then it won't do it's job.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

10. Back To Top    #10
    West Chester, PA

When I first started with my swamp, I ran my water sample through a coffee filter to do the CYA test. I must have read that on here somewhere.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

11. Back To Top    #11
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

What color is the water now? You don't need to keep shocking if the CC is. .5 If it goes higher, or the water is cloudy still, then yes, keep shocking with bleach, your shock level is 12.

The CYA test is not affected by cloudy water. Poor straight pool water into the view tube, if the black dot is obscured at all by cloudy water then it would affect the CYA test result. If you can clearly see the black dot, the results will not be skewed.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

12. Back To Top    #12

Water is clear/blue, particles fall out over a few minutes in sample bottle.