Aquapure - cell replacement

Jun 9, 2009
Pasadena, MD
I am one of the unlucky ones who has the old style 2 port Aquapure 1400 cell and I am now faced with replacement. The new cells that Jandy sells are a different length and will require some plumbing work in order to make them fit. I haven't bought a replacement cell yet. I am pretty mad that Jandy changed the form factor of the cells with no regard to past owners that would have issues like this at replacement time.

Because of the way the pool builder plumbed my return lines, the downstream union body is right against a Jandy valve. There is no extra pipe in there that will let me cut out and remove the old union and replace it with a new one without quite a bit of re-plumbing work. There is a whole series of valves all tightly fit together and this could be a fair bit of work. I could post pictures later when I get home if it would help you understand my problem.

Can anyone tell me if the old unions are compatible with the new cells? Do I need to replace both unions to get the new cell installed? If I could leave in place the one union that is hard to replace, this could be a much easier job.

Next question - what is the best price anyone has seen online for a replacement cell? Web links would be appreciated.

Thanks,

dmtreff said:
Because of the way the pool builder plumbed my return lines, the downstream union body is right against a Jandy valve. There is no extra pipe in there that will let me cut out and remove the old union and replace it with a new one without quite a bit of re-plumbing work. There is a whole series of valves all tightly fit together and this could be a fair bit of work.

Just an idea. It's not ideal, but if it comes to it... I'm pretty sure my salt cell's unions are standard 2" threaded unions. If yours are like that too, what you might be able to do is, hop over to Home Depot, buy a PVC adapter with a 2" threaded male on one end a female (smooth) on the other. Then you can throw some new PVC into the female and go with a new salt system or different cell type.

Found the following fitting in another thread about this same topic.
26114p.jpg

I may be able to put this coupling on the outside of the Jandy valve body after cutting the old pipe off flush. I have been informed that the Jandy valves are made for this. You can guarantee I'll be leaving at least 2 inches of pipe between my fittings for future plumbing mods... :idea: Question - is the black plastic Jandy valve still made of PVC? I can use standard PVC glue on it?

I will still post pictures later today, but this job just became much easier... Definitely a DIY to save me few bucks. I am not afraid of a little plumbing and some wiring.

I may even write up a HOWTO with pictures and post it for future reference.

Thanks,

Jandy valves are designed to allow you to use either the I.D. or O.D. of the valve. This will be either a 1.5" ID and 2" OD valve, or 2" ID and 2.5" OD valve. What that means is that if you cut off the old fitting, flush to the valve, you can use a typical pvc fitting on the unused section.
There is also a fitting called a PIPE EXTENDER that allows you to cut the old union flush to the valve, and glue the pipe extender INTO the cut off pvc section. Then, you can glue a new union to the pipe extender. It glues into the ID of 1.5" or 2" sch 40 PVC pipe, and works as if there is a 2" section of pvc to work with. http://www.magicplastics.com/vnf_magic_pext.htm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.