Filter sizing

Onslow

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 11, 2010
Kentucky
In my never-ending quest to get my filter repaired and pool opened I'm about ready to just go buy a new filter/pump combo. The guy at the pool store said I needed a 400 lb sand filter (?). I thought that was a bit extreme as the one the previous owner left us is 200 lbs but that doesn't necessarily mean anything either. Are there some guidelines on this board to recommend a filter size based on pool gallons (we're approx 14,000)? I know pump throughput has a lot to do with it too.

I know pump throughput has a lot to do with it too
Yeah, I would suggest that a pump/filter combo (or separate units) with around 250 lbs of sand would be about right for that pool.

You can do some rule of thumb math pretty quickly. A good goal is to have the capacity to turn over your pool water 3 times daily. So, with a 15K pool, a pump that would give you 15K in an 8 hour period would be about right. That's a minimum of 30 gal/minute so a nice .5 or .75 hp pump should give that to you. Now, make sure that your filter is rated to handle at least that much flow and 40-50 would probably be better.

The combo's tend to under-size the filter a little so you would be better off getting them separately but it will almost surely cost more.

WoodyP, my pool is also 16 x 32 and 54" deep in the center, buried 2 feet. We have an approximate 8"ledge around the pool bottom before the drop to 54". Do you also have the ledge? If so, does the Pool Rover Jr clean the ledge area as well as the pool bottom? I would like to have an auto cleaner but wasn't sure if any of them would be able to work with the ledge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.