Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter sizing

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter sizing

In my never-ending quest to get my filter repaired and pool opened I'm about ready to just go buy a new filter/pump combo. The guy at the pool store said I needed a 400 lb sand filter (?). I thought that was a bit extreme as the one the previous owner left us is 200 lbs but that doesn't necessarily mean anything either. Are there some guidelines on this board to recommend a filter size based on pool gallons (we're approx 14,000)? I know pump throughput has a lot to do with it too.
    * 18' x 33' - 48" oval AGP - new liner Summer 2014
    * Hayward Pro Series S210T Top Mount Sand Filter
    * Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1 1/2 hp Pump Model SP5615
    (equipment on posts prior to summer 2014) Hayward PowerFlo 1 hp pump - Jacuzzi "Tidewater" 190L, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Filter sizing

I know pump throughput has a lot to do with it too
    Yeah, I would suggest that a pump/filter combo (or separate units) with around 250 lbs of sand would be about right for that pool.

You can do some rule of thumb math pretty quickly. A good goal is to have the capacity to turn over your pool water 3 times daily. So, with a 15K pool, a pump that would give you 15K in an 8 hour period would be about right. That's a minimum of 30 gal/minute so a nice .5 or .75 hp pump should give that to you. Now, make sure that your filter is rated to handle at least that much flow and 40-50 would probably be better.

The combo's tend to under-size the filter a little so you would be better off getting them separately but it will almost surely cost more.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

A 250 lb. filter does mine just fine. A little too much pump though at 1.5hp. Turns my pool over in 4 hours give or take at 12k gallons.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

NE Oklahoma

WoodyP, my pool is also 16 x 32 and 54" deep in the center, buried 2 feet. We have an approximate 8"ledge around the pool bottom before the drop to 54". Do you also have the ledge? If so, does the Pool Rover Jr clean the ledge area as well as the pool bottom? I would like to have an auto cleaner but wasn't sure if any of them would be able to work with the ledge.
    16 x 32 x 54" AG buried 2', Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Hayward 15922S Power Flo Matrix pump