Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Sand filter startup

Sand filter startup

What's the normal psi range for sand filter? Just bought a new pentair tagelus 24" sand filter but I don't know if the psi is good or not....I know if it goes up 10psi then it needs to be backwashed but how do I know that my normal level is acceptable. It has a max psi of 50.

We reused the sand from the old one as it was just from last year I believe. How do we know when to replace the sand?

Re: Sand filter startup

Your normal pressure depends on your pump, plumbing design, etc. Every pool is different. What is your pressure now compared with your old filter, and what type was the old filter?
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

We just bought the house and we're new to swimming pool maintenance so we have no idea. Max pressure for that filter is 50 and it's currently 12-15...just wanted to make sure that's not too low and was normal.

If it's running 12 to 15 now that's fine. If you do some reading you'll see that mose sand filters here run from 10 to 18 psi.
    Keep an eye on it and when it rises about 6 psi or so, backwash it and see what the pressure returns to.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.