Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to take a sample for a pool store to test?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to take a sample for a pool store to test?

Just out of curiosity, how does everyone take their samples for pool store testing and what do you store the sample in??

I am rather dirt poor at the moment and can't afford more than the test strips for a while. I haven't ever taken a sample in to a pool store and am wondering what folks use to hold their sample when they do. Do you use virgin containers and take care to fill completely without air (preventing pH shifts?) or just use whatever left over waterbottle container is at hand?

My day job sometimes involves pH adjustments that are far tighter in range than pool care could ever be. I will admit to taking the odd sample into work to test for pH. It's really the only variable I can measure to what level I consider accurate. I just always wonder when I see folks post test results from their PS and their own readings, how much the delay in testing results in a change in the testing results...

Intex 15ft, 4400 gal, frame pool with first time using intex SWG
    formerly owned easy set pools for the past 7 years or so

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to take a sample for a pool store to test?

We used a thermos our first time and than they gave us just a 22 oz bottle to bring it in next time. They told us to reach down as far as we could to fill it. Try to get elbow deep water. Take it to the store right away
    18,000 gal ig salt pool krystalkrete plaster 7x10 raised spa w/ 2 spillovers
    4x20 wet deck, waterfall, 17ft infinity edge, deck jets, nexxus lighting
    Jandy pumps & controls, Aquapalm PDA, 400k heater, Kleen Machine robot
    (6) 4x12 solar panels, clear solar cover

3. Back To Top    #3

Shawnee, Kansas

I use a brand new mason jar. Like Utahjanitor, I dip down to my elbow (18" or so) but make sure your container is upside down until you get in that deep, then twist it upright so you are filling it with water from 18" down. And yes, like Utahjanitor, my pool company gives me a test bottle when I take my mason jar in.
    20,000 gallon, sand filter, IG vinyl

4. Back To Top    #4

Spring, TX

Most pool stores that do free testing have their own test jugs to fill up. Go to your nearest store and pick up a few. They say to come in no more than an hour after testing for best results.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Coastalish 'down easter'

Welcome to TFP!!

Please let's not forget taking the sample from a central area, at least a few feet from any suctions or returns - you want a true 'representative' sample of the pool water. If they give you the sample bottles and do the testing for free, take them 2 or 3 samples from different places in the pool

I do feel obligated to say that you'll get better, and more consistent results, by doing your own testing with either the TF100 or the Taylor K2006
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)