Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My main concern is

1. Back To Top    #1

My main concern is

HELP!! Second summer as a pool owner. Swam last night in lovely 85 degree water. Tested and added chlorine. Tonight, went out to check and lost about 6 inches of water. The intake hose to the pump was disconnected and the pump was running away on AIR. The water must have poured out until it went below the skimmer. Found that the return hose (at the pump) looked odd also. It was pulled down further on the hose, but the hose was still attached. I am convinced that I am a victim of vandalism because I find it incredible that the hose would just loosen? Perhaps it could. Two hoses? My main concern is the pump and how long it was sucking air and how FUBAR it will be now. Any advice on how to proceed? Fill it up with water and see or should I do something else first? Thanks.
    24' x 52" AGP Garden Leisure, 13500 gal, 1 1/2 hp Hayward pump/sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My main concern is

Someone probably tried to steal your pump.

Fill it up and turn it on and see what happens. If it starts screaming, you need bearings. If it starts squirting water, you need seals.

Makes me glad my pool is up to code, with a high fence and a locked gate!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Check the hose clamps to see if they were loosened. One way to prevent this in the future would be to hard plumb the pump and filter to the pool. Hoses can be problematic over time.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. Added water, crossed my fingers, tightened up and turned the pump on. Seems to be working fine. No odd sounds and normal pressure. Am looking into hard plumbing and attack dogs.
    24' x 52" AGP Garden Leisure, 13500 gal, 1 1/2 hp Hayward pump/sand filter.