Help with HOA rules

hobby1

Jul 23, 2008
Hi everyone,
I moved into a new neighborhood over a year ago and the HOA was run by the builder. We have now transitioned the HOA to our community and it is now being run by our own board. I am on our architect committee and I need help writing some rules about above ground pools. We have by-laws in place and it does state no temporary structures but that is vague. The management company had written some simple guidelines and that stated we could have in-ground pools but no above ground. So, since I have an above ground in storage, I am trying to change that. Does anyone have some specific guidelines in their HOA that allows above ground pools that they can share? I think the big thing is that most do not want any of the blow up pools i.e. intrex. Before I get slammed about the intex pools, I don't have anything against them as I had two of them before purchasing the pool we have now.

Thanks for your help,
Dan

Usually the builder adopts a HOA from a template of companies out there. When it was handed over it should over in the mountain of info. They each have rules and it's just a matter of going through there master and finding the free standing structure (if I remember) section I think thats where AG pools are in. At least that's where ours was.

I have the original by-laws which don't specify pools. All I am doing is writing new guidlines as I am on the architect committee. I am looking for examples of guidelines that other HOA's use to specify specific above ground pools.

If the covenants specifically say "above ground pools are prohibited" then the only change that can be made has to be done through legal action and your homeowners have to vote to approve. An above ground pool is considered a structure in our hoa but our covenants specifically mention pools as allowed.

I would say to keep it reasonable. Keep it close to the house, reasonably sized for the lot ( we have hardcover rules that automatically keep big pools out (800sq feet or less), neutral color (this eliminates blue bubble pools). Don't make it too complicated. It just angers your homeowners and requires too many questions.

Ours is pretty basic... but each plan (inground and above ground) has to be brought to the board for approval. We had to submit our design for the pool and deck. Thank heavens it was approved!! I would have freaked if it wasn't.

Pools and Spas

"With the exception of the Common Areas, swing sets, trampolines, playhouses, children's swimming pools or water toys, wading pools, hot tubs and any other such items must be located on the rear portion of the Lot behind the residence."

To bring this property into compliance, please submit written plans of your pool/spa, decking, and pool/spa circulation equipment specifying the overall dimensions, materials and location to the Architectural Control Committee as soon as possible.

Sure am glad I didnt sign my property rights away when I bought my home. I dont think I could stand anyone not making my house payment telling me the first thing about my residence.

But, I guess it works for some.

We were fortunate that our development plan called for a HOA, but when all the homes were built and it was to be taken over by the neighborhood, we all voted to NOT have an HOA! YAY!

So my point is that it's an option!

Do your rules say anything about storage sheds and play structures? I would follow those guidelines. A pool is sort of a temporary structure, but maybe rules about a deck around it would make it more a "permanent" structure.

After 3 years trying to get a pool past our HOA, I think it is more difficult to define what is acceptable than one would think it should be.

I wish you the best and hope you get a pool up soon! Less rules are better!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.