Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clean Swamp or Drain Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Clean Swamp or Drain Pool?

I have received great advice here already to help clean up my swamp with a good amount of leaves at the center of the deep end and a ton of debris floating at the top. I've been raking the leaves, using a hose vacuum, and running the filter non stop for a few days now. I have a DE filter and my in ground pool is gunite holding about 17,000 gallons of water. I've already changed the DE via backwash 4 times already. At this point with all of the money I'm spending on running the filter, DE, and chemicals plus the time I'm using to get the leaves out, would it be better to just drain the thing? I live on the edge of the woods so it would be no problem draining it there. Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Guam, USA

Re: Clean Swamp or Drain Pool?

12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

What is the cost of draining and refilling? What does your water look like now? Have you posted information in another thread that would help us see your whole "story"? (test results, pics, etc.)
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    West Chester, PA

Patience is going to play a big role with a clean-up such as that. I have a friend who drained her swamp and replaced her water and will hopefully embrace the BBB method. She and her family are swimming. I am diligently cleaning and shocking my swamp, I am three weeks in and still have a green pool, albeit a very pretty light shade of green. We are not swimming yet... SO, I would say without regard to the costs... can you wait it out or not?
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Waited it out after a lot of hard work and patience. It worked out and I'm glad I was patient at the end because the pool came out great and stayed that way the whole summer. Thanks for the responses.