Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Think my pool season is over before it even started.

1. Back To Top    #1

Think my pool season is over before it even started.

We have noticed a leak for about the past wk and have been getting help here to locate it. We were hoping it was on the plumbing side. My husband was home today and we were capping off the returns and such to rule out the shell when I noticed a hole at one of the returns. Will attempt to post picture. It is on the bottom of the return. This particular return is to be used for the heated water if using the solar system but we have opted out because of all the necessary hoses we were concerned about leakage! We had air in our system earlier this week from a cracked lid on the skimmer at the pump, but the bubbles were gone after we replaced it. Could this have been caused by pressure blow out from the cracked lid, as I have read in other posts? We were considering making the opening larger for a light, that way we wouldn't have to patch, and have a light also. While attempting to take a pic, I noticed what appeared to be scratches at the "working" return. When I rubbed them, the color/pattern just came off! I have read posts on liner damage due to chemical abuse. This would have been our 4th season with this liner. The 1st yr we filled and used wally world chemicals. Since then, BBB. I am careful to pour of a few minutes. Will attempt to post pics. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16 x 32 AG Fanta Sea 13,500 gal/ Hayward Sand Filter/ 1 hp Hayward Power Flo LX Pump
    1 skimmer 1 main drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Think my pool season is over before it even started.

I'm confused on the exact location of that return. Is it near the top rail or at the bottom of the pool or ??? That is a small enough hole you should be able to repair it with a patch and/or Boxer Glue. Depending on how serious and the extent, you may have to drain below the return and remove/repair or not have to drain and just patch/glue - I can't figure out what I am looking at. Maybe someone else here has a suggestion? I wouldn't rule out repairs though. Be optimistic
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

3. Back To Top    #3

That's why they make clear bathroom silicon caulk! It may end up looking ugly, but if you squeeze another year out of the liner....
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry about the pics. Had to take them with my phone. The 1st pic is of the working return from above. This is my main concern because of what appears to be damage. When I lightly rub it, flakes come off, removing the color. The 2nd pic is taken from the side (thought I could get a better angle of the hole). It is near the top rail. The dark lines in the rt side of the pic is the design at the top of the pool. I was pretty optimistic with the location and size of the hole until I found the places at the other return. Is this liner still usable? Thank you

I'm assuming you mean use the caulk to repair the hole rather than patch it Richard?
    16 x 32 AG Fanta Sea 13,500 gal/ Hayward Sand Filter/ 1 hp Hayward Power Flo LX Pump
    1 skimmer 1 main drain

5. Back To Top    #5

ugh Yeppers, what Richard said! Oh I would guess it still is. Either use some Boxer Glue or some clear silicone caulk. It's probably more wear from twisting the return fittings during install than over all liner failure/damage. Patch it up, goop it up and go from there.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks! The location of the hole was actually a relief. I don't care about the ugliness since I don't have 800 bucks for a new liner this year! But to clarify, you don't see the flaking of the color at the other return as a major problem other than looks?
    1 skimmer 1 main drain

7. Back To Top    #7

do you see the actual vinyl material disintigrating or just the design overlay? If the vinyl is mushy and falling apart, there may be an issue, but then again, it may just be because areas around fittings get a lot more handling/contact with tools, hands, etc., If you see widespread problems with the liner failing or becoming unstable, THEN I would worry. Don't sweat the "what ifs" because pools have too many "what ifs" and we could all go absolutely mad worring about them. When you have something absolute to stress on like mushy vinyl in many areas, rips, etc., Worry - for this issue - not so much. : )

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks NWMNMom!!! I think the actual vinyl is ok. That end of the pool has a few more areas like that. And that happens to be where I put my chemicals in. However, the return with the hole is beside it on the opposite wall, and you can see, no discoloration. This wall I think gets the most sunlight, because none of the other walls have any fading etc.. What ifs tend to rule my life..and I said I was doing that anymore..since this pool is suppose to be a source of enjoyment. You have just made my night! Thanks again.
    1 skimmer 1 main drain

9. Back To Top    #9

Would you use the caulk to repair without removing the return 1st, or remove for a better repair? Thank you
    1 skimmer 1 main drain

10. Back To Top    #10

I'd leave everything right where it is. Disturbing the vinyl by unscrewing the return is just begging for a disaster.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Yea, that was my guess, but thought I would check with the experts. Thanks for all your help Richard.
    1 skimmer 1 main drain