Please Help!!!!! New Pool Having Chlorine Problems!!!

Jun 8, 2011
We have just bought a 15' above ground 4,000 gallon poolfrom WalMart about 2 weeks ago. It took a week to fill it up due to our not so good wellwater pump. After filling it up it took a couple of days to get the Aqua Chem kit with the chlorine tabs, shocker, and 6 way test strips. Well, during that time the pool turned green with algae. We did the steps and added the floating thing with the chlorine tabs and shocked it then the next day added the algaecide plus then shocked it again. Well, after a week it has started to clear up but still has a tad bit algae on bottom and is got a slight haze to it but would love it to be crystal clear water it started off to be. Also, the 6 way test strips keep saying there is no chlorine but everything else is reading normal and balanced, my husband says we need to add chlorine cause it shows we have none even though the floater with the tabs are in the pool but have barely dissolved and have kept my pump on 24/7 and the only vacuum made for these kind of pools are the kind you hook up to the hose which are not the best in the world. Someone said add chlorinating granule and someone else said not to but to add conditioning stabilizer! Help! We are so lost at this point and would love to be able to swim in the pool we bought over two weeks ago!

Please help!
:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Re: PLEASE HELP!!!!! NEW POOL & HAVING CHLORINE PROBLEMS!!!

Your husband is right. You need chlorine, lots of it, and you need to get enough in the water to kill the algae faster than it can reproduce, and keep adding it faster than the algae can reproduce until you've killed it all. Here's a recent thread with some before and after pictures. Does your pool look that bad? It can be cleared.

Start by reading Pool School. There's a lot of info in there, it will likely overwhelm you, but it will answer most of your questions and that saves you and us all a lot of typing.

And not peculiar to this board, but general "netiquette," is that ALL CAPS MEANS SHOUTING and is considered rude. :oops:

Welcome to TFP!

I have edited your post to remove the CAPS. Please don't type in all caps as it appears to some on here that you are yelling at them. Thank you for that. :)

We need a set of test results for your water. Not the results that come off a strip as those are typically far from accurate. If you could take a sample to a pool store, have them test it, do NOT buy anything from them, and report the results back here to us, we can get you going in the right direction. We need the following: FC, CC, CYA, pH, TA, CH, and metals.

Please read Pool School. Link in my sig line below.

Please visit http://www.tftestkits.net and purchase a high quality test kit. The strips are not worth much for testing. The best kit is the TF-100.

I am soo sorry about the Caps thing!! I am new to this posting thing & was not shouting! I will get a sample of our pool water tested & post results when we do! Thank you for all your help! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.