Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Scumoff

1. Back To Top    #1

OK guys. I don't have any involvement with this company, I just tried their product and it rocks! It's called Scumoff. I have a fiberglass pool (almost a year now) and have fought my scumline. This stuff is great! I lowered my water about 2", brushed this stuff on with one of those 1" foam brushes, waited about 5 minutes, took a rough wash rag and wiped it, rinsed it with pool water and scumline totally gone. Dosen't affect the water (at least not within the hour following) and is so easy. I just thought you guys should know. I'll leave a link. It wasn't easy to find locally but I finally did. $14.08 with tax for a quart that should do my small pool about 5 times.

8500 Gallon Fiberglass IG / Sta-Rite pump,cartridge filter & heater / PoolPilot Dig 220-36 SWG / Testing w/K2006

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Knippa, Texas
    So this stuff is easy to use? I may just give it a try! I scrubbed at my scumline with baking soda and it helped, but it was a LOT of work. I don't think I've seen a cleaner like that for fiberglass pools before; I've seen lots that are formulated for tile, etc., that warn NOT to use them on fiberglass.

I try to prevent a scumline; I use Pool Perfect. With an indoor pool, the enzyme treatment is almost essential.

My pool: INDOOR 13x27 rectangular fiberglass, built ~2001, BBB, TA-60 sand filter, Hayward two speed pump (1 hp/0.33 hp), 3/4 hp booster pump for solar heater
    Taylor K-2006 test

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA
    There isn't an MSDS for ScumOff, but]this old cached text link[/url] indicates that it is oxygen bleach. The MSDS for a similar product called Bring It On! contains silica (sand), Dodecylbenzylsulfonic Acid (DDBSA; an acid and a scale inhibitor), and Nonoxynol-9 (surfactant; yes, the same stuff used in condoms). If it is instead just oxygen bleach, then this is probably hydrogen peroxide or sodium percarbonate (which is a combination of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide). So I wonder how just using hydrogen peroxide or sodium percarbonate would work.

16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"