FC loss during day extreme

Bellicusa

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Bellmawr, NJ
I opened the pool a couple weeks ago to clear water, but a few piles of leaves/dirt that I suppose I should have vacuumed out before I closed last year.

Filled up the water and ran a full set of numbers.
FC was obviously 0
CYA was 0 ... assuming possibly an amonia problem...was 40 last year and I drained less than 10% of the water to close.
Ph was low ... dont recall exactly, but aerated and got that to 7.5

Added 7# of stabilizer to the pool (should get me to 40ish CYA).
Got the FC level up and all seemed ok...tho I was lazy and didnt test every day.

Ended up not putting in chlorine for a couple days and the water got a little hazy.
Still blue, but hazy.

Kicked the pump on 24/7 and brought FC to 15ish and kept it there the last few days.
Water slowly cleared, but I was going through 6 182oz bottles of Clorox daily.
Daily FC loss seemed high, so checked my CYA ... 40ish again.

Water is now perfectly clear...best it has looked all year.
Any time I test CC I get .5

Sun is off the pool from 4PM until 8AM every day.
Tested FC at 5PM yesterday and got 18.5.
Tested FC at 9PM yesterday and got 18.5.
Tested FC at 6AM today and got 17.5 and CC was .5.
Im thinking im doing ok...perfect looking water, only 1 FC drop over 13 hours of no sun, and .5 CC.
Going to near 100F today...want to be sure Im not letting the kids swim in some sort of biological disaster area so want to test to see how things are going.

Had the wife test FC at 11AM today (3 or so hours in the sun) and she got 9 :hammer:
I dont understand that...hate to assume she is testing wrong, but...
Had the wife test FC at 1PM today (5 hours in the sun) and she got a 6 :rant:

I have read a ton of forum posts...and I think I get it.
Sunlight and "Bad Things" in the water are all that eat the FC...
If my CYA is testing right and my FC is testing right...what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Anthony

That kind of chlorine loss on a hot sunny day isn't really all that unusual, a little higher than I would expect but not surprisingly so. The higher your starting FC level, the more chlorine you will loose, the same with warmer weather.

I suggest raising CYA to around 50, which will help a little.

Thanks for the reply.
I will let it ride and pray it holds out till tonight.
Last year with similar CYA I would add to about 6-7 at night and would be 3.5ish the night night.

Hopefully what little I have left will hold till tonight.

Anthony

I agree with jason that you might need to bump up your CYA. Your Chlorine loss sounds high compared to my pool. I lose approximately 3ppm per day, every morning I test and 9 out of 10 days I have to add 1 gal. of 10-1/2percent. My CYA is 50. With the heat and sun from the last month I may be losing more than 3ppm and have considered raising my CYA to 60.

If you question whether your FC loss is related to UV rays or organics, the way to tell is by doing an overnight FC loss test. Losing more than 1 ppm of FC overnight is suggestive of organic contamination and the need to shock. If all of your loss occurs during the day, then the suggestion of bumping your CYA up a bit would be the best idea.

Added 4 lbs of 100% (according to the package) CYA yesterday.
This should bring me to ...um, I dont know.
If I believe the pool store testing I guess around 45...

FC was 6.5 last night at 8PM.
We has real heavy winds and rain last night.
Cleaned the leaves, etc out of the pool this morning and tested at 7:30AM, FC was 5.5

Was a loss of 1, but Im thinking some of that was due to the weather last night.
Had the wife add 90oz of 6% which should have brought me to 7.5 or so.

10AM I was at 6 and by 12:30PM was at 5.

This seems to be slower than the other day...but not sure it is slow enough yet...

I would like to get back to last years convenience.
I had a CYA of about 40 and had to add 130oz of 6% once each night to keep everything happy.
Right now I have to add twice a day just to maintain.

Anyone else adding multiple times a day?

Anthony

I dunno...my pool doesnt seem as troublefree as last year.

Just tested water at 4PM and got a 2.5 FC with 0 CC.

Added more.

No idea why my level doesnt hold during the day.
Im wondering if my CYA is as high as I thought it would be...but have to wait to test since it was just added.

Anthony

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.