Phos-free, that's similar to metal free?

Speedo

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2011
on the subject of phos-free, that's similar to metal free, correct?

I was told that the minerals could have an effect on my heater and that I should be using it (metal free that is), is this true?

I'm getting pool stored, aren't I..?

No they are completely unrelated, aside from being sold by the same company.

Phos-free removes phosphates from the pool, which is almost never useful. Metal Free is a sequestrant, though not one of the better ones. Sequestrants are normally used to prevent metals in the water from staining the pool surface. I supposed they could also be used to help prevent calcium scaling in the heater, but there are much simpler and less expensive ways to do that.

I love this site more and more, I was thinking I'm really losing $$$ here paying $23 per bottle if I don't really need it.

So the risk with the heater is calcium scaling? Is that the only thing in the water that usually affects a heater?

And the pool store's test along with a sales guy tried to sell me a massive bucket of calcium. By design maybe they're trying to sell me a new heater :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.