Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Phos-free, that's similar to metal free?

1. Back To Top    #1

Phos-free, that's similar to metal free?

on the subject of phos-free, that's similar to metal free, correct?

I was told that the minerals could have an effect on my heater and that I should be using it (metal free that is), is this true?

I'm getting pool stored, aren't I..?
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Phos-free, that's similar to metal free?

No they are completely unrelated, aside from being sold by the same company.

Phos-free removes phosphates from the pool, which is almost never useful. Metal Free is a sequestrant, though not one of the better ones. Sequestrants are normally used to prevent metals in the water from staining the pool surface. I supposed they could also be used to help prevent calcium scaling in the heater, but there are much simpler and less expensive ways to do that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Phos-free, that's similar to metal free?

I love this site more and more, I was thinking I'm really losing $$$ here paying $23 per bottle if I don't really need it.

So the risk with the heater is calcium scaling? Is that the only thing in the water that usually affects a heater?

And the pool store's test along with a sales guy tried to sell me a massive bucket of calcium. By design maybe they're trying to sell me a new heater
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]