Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding DE to sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding DE to sand filter

Totally sick of cloudy pool with pollen, and yeah I'm sure it's pollen. Well aware of what folks here think of floc and I'm not interested in vac'ing that much water to waste anyhow. Question is, is it alright to add some DE through the skimmer with the basket out rather than havin to open up the sand filter to add it? 12k pool with 250 lb. filter. How much to add? Thanks!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding DE to sand filter

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

2 cups added with no filter pressure rise, but I just backwashed it yesterday. Gonna run that sucka' 24 hours and I'll report back tomorrow.
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm having exactly the same issue. I've already added the DE but it still seems to get through. I've been brushing and vaccing for days now and like yourself I don't want to lose any water. I added floc anyway to see if the larger flocced particle will stick in the filter better. I've been heavily using the search function tonight and it seems that a skimmer sock can be a great help, although I'm not sure how useful it is once the pollen has sunk to the bottom as it seems to sink back down very quickly after brushing so to get it into the skimmer could be hard.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

5. Back To Top    #5

Reporting back only FOUR hours later! The 2 cups of DE didn't of itself cause any pressure filter increase. Checked it almost 4 hours later after brushing up the bottom (again) and it went up almost 8 points.! Pool is one whole heckuva lot clearer. Already backwashed and did a reallly good rinse cycle. Didn't want to let the pressure go from the middle of the caution zone into the red zone on the pressure. One Happy Camper here at this point! Anybody need 24 lbs. or so of DE??????????????? Kidding, but it was pretty cheap I thought at 25 lbs. for $23.95 and it won't go bad!

6. Back To Top    #6

Be careful, I plugged my filter up temporarily with the DE. You don't want to add to much and keep an eye on the pressure. It filters pretty good though.
    Noob Here!
    24' Above Ground
    Aquatrol SWG
    1 1/2 hp pump, sand filter