Hi all, I have a raft full of problems or maybe just one?
I have a 15’Dia x 3’deep, above ground liner pool, about ¾ in ground, with a building of fencing panels/plastic and with a plastic roof. The plastic is clear with a blue tint to prevent UV. This was basically put into place beginning of last season.
I use Triclosene Sodium shock and trichloroisocyanuric acid tablets. Previously (last 8 years) this is all I have required.
Mid last year I had an algae bloom of epic proportions, I got it under control by increasing the chlorine level and a lot of hard work. Closed the pool and opened it about 2 months ago, the water was clear but with a green bottom, Vacuuming would not remove it, only brushing and guess what another algae bloom of epic proportions! Lots of chlorine and lots of hard work was alas in vain and to be honest I even emptied and restarted but within a week the algae bloom returned.
Here in the UK things are not as cheap as in the US so Ok! Lets buy some Polyquaternary Algaecide, (1lt for about $45). Added about ¾ and after 2 days the pool went milky. Before adding the Algaecide the PH was 7.2 and the chlorine was off the scale.
Here’s my problem (at last), The water is still slightly milky and when flushing off my filter it is a milky light green shade? Also I am having problems maintaining PH – the water keeps going acidic? And my chlorine is still off the scale even accounting for 2 partial empties and refills.
Yes I know I need a complete testing kit but again they are expensive this side of the pond and she who will remain nameless is already questioning ‘what’s it costing’.
My guess is the ‘UV filtering’ plastic is not helping and the pool is acting as an indoor pool and I need to learn different techniques.
In the meantime HELP!