Bread: even the pros use it

nutjob

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2011
Dallas
When cleaning the filter basket of my water feature pump, I thought it was just normal for a bunch of water to come rushing out when popping the lid. I got pretty quick at it: pop, remove, replace, clean, pop, install, replace, done!

But apparently that's not supposed to happen. It turns out my builder forgot to install a valve on the suction side of the pump that you can close.

So their pro plumbers are out this morning adding such a valve. They came by with a variety of equipment:
  • Hack-saw[/*:m:1dqrym7m]
  • Valve[/*:m:1dqrym7m]
  • Lengths of PVC pipe[/*:m:1dqrym7m]
  • Primer[/*:m:1dqrym7m]
  • Cement[/*:m:1dqrym7m]
  • Swim goggles[/*:m:1dqrym7m]
  • and a loaf of white bread. :shock: [/*:m:1dqrym7m]

One guy swam down, removed the main drain cover, and got busy with the bread while the other guys worked at the pad.

Wow. :shock:

Wonder Bread is best for plugging pipes. Very malleable, and the lack of fiber helps it dissolve and pass through when the work is done.

I did a lot of copper plumbing when we remodelled a bathroom at the scout camp and was taught that trick. We needed the pipe to be dry to sweat on a new fitting. So, shut off the water, unsolder the existing or cut into it, pack it full of wonder bread and get to work. Turn of the water, open the tap, and little lumps of goo come out.

My system does not have this valve either. Each time I clean the filter basket most of the water runs out of the basket as well. I haven't worried about it thus far. When I turn the pump back on it takes a few seconds for the pump to prime (I always open the air valve on top of the filter until all of the air is gone), but it seems no worse for the wear. Should I be concerned?

HouTex said:
My system does not have this valve either. Each time I clean the filter basket most of the water runs out of the basket as well. I haven't worried about it thus far. When I turn the pump back on it takes a few seconds for the pump to prime (I always open the air valve on top of the filter until all of the air is gone), but it seems no worse for the wear. Should I be concerned?
I'd wager there's no real need for concern, save for saving on water.

My equipment pad is a few feet lower in altitude than the top of the pool surface which means putting up with a LOT of water every time I opened the pumps' lids or the leaf catcher lid. It was really annoying, but the builder was willing to correct it for free, which is mainly why I went ahead and asked for it.

(Meanwhile, I hope the number of bread particles floating around has gone down today!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.