Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bread: even the pros use it

1. Back To Top    #1

Bread: even the pros use it

When cleaning the filter basket of my water feature pump, I thought it was just normal for a bunch of water to come rushing out when popping the lid. I got pretty quick at it: pop, remove, replace, clean, pop, install, replace, done!

But apparently that's not supposed to happen. It turns out my builder forgot to install a valve on the suction side of the pump that you can close.

So their pro plumbers are out this morning adding such a valve. They came by with a variety of equipment:
    • Hack-saw[/*:m:1dqrym7m]
    • Valve[/*:m:1dqrym7m]
    • Lengths of PVC pipe[/*:m:1dqrym7m]
    • Primer[/*:m:1dqrym7m]
    • Cement[/*:m:1dqrym7m]
    • Swim goggles[/*:m:1dqrym7m]
    • and a loaf of white bread. [/*:m:1dqrym7m]

One guy swam down, removed the main drain cover, and got busy with the bread while the other guys worked at the pad.

Wow.
    I laugh—to disguise the tears.
    Size 15,000 gal 510′² | Filtration DE 48′² | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33ºN 97ºW)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bread: even the pros use it

Wonder Bread is best for plugging pipes. Very malleable, and the lack of fiber helps it dissolve and pass through when the work is done.

I did a lot of copper plumbing when we remodelled a bathroom at the scout camp and was taught that trick. We needed the pipe to be dry to sweat on a new fitting. So, shut off the water, unsolder the existing or cut into it, pack it full of wonder bread and get to work. Turn of the water, open the tap, and little lumps of goo come out.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Ditto, a handy little tip

4. Back To Top    #4

And here I have been using it for toast and sandwiches all these years...
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dorpo75
    And here I have been using it for toast and sandwiches all these years...
    Me, too! I thought they were gonna talk about making 'mater sammiches
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I have used bread during installation of irrigation sprinkler pipe to keep dirt out. It works great - when you turn on the system it flushes all the bread out.
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

7. Back To Top    #7

My system does not have this valve either. Each time I clean the filter basket most of the water runs out of the basket as well. I haven't worried about it thus far. When I turn the pump back on it takes a few seconds for the pump to prime (I always open the air valve on top of the filter until all of the air is gone), but it seems no worse for the wear. Should I be concerned?
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by HouTex
    My system does not have this valve either. Each time I clean the filter basket most of the water runs out of the basket as well. I haven't worried about it thus far. When I turn the pump back on it takes a few seconds for the pump to prime (I always open the air valve on top of the filter until all of the air is gone), but it seems no worse for the wear. Should I be concerned?
    I'd wager there's no real need for concern, save for saving on water.

My equipment pad is a few feet lower in altitude than the top of the pool surface which means putting up with a LOT of water every time I opened the pumps' lids or the leaf catcher lid. It was really annoying, but the builder was willing to correct it for free, which is mainly why I went ahead and asked for it.

(Meanwhile, I hope the number of bread particles floating around has gone down today!)
    I laugh—to disguise the tears.
    Size 15,000 gal 510′² | Filtration DE 48′² | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33ºN 97ºW)

9. Back To Top    #9

Heh heh!

10. Back To Top    #10

Two ways to remedy this problem when pump system is below pool:

1. Ball valve (open and close each time)
    2. Inline Check Valve (automatic) (as long as you orientate properly) This only happened once....I swear!
    Dan
    -----------
    20' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex 635t Filter/Pump, Intex SWG (Salt Water Gen) 54601WL