Question about tree pollen.

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
Last Saturday NW Indiana was hit with a huge storm...we had 100+ mph winds and hundreds of trees if not thousands were damaged or just blown over.

I have noticed that over the next several days that my pool has been collecting pollen on the bottm at a much greater speed and amount. Normally I get a few spots over a couple of days...Now it is every day I have to vacuume the whole pool and especially in the middle.

My question is this. With all the broken trees and flying debris from the trees...And yep I had a 30 foot limb from my red maple in the back come down. But does all of that tree damage put excessive pollen in the air and thus in my pool?

mrnick0483 said:
I have the exact same problem... and it is an endless battle. The only thing i have found that gets rid of the pollen is a skimmer sock.

My skimmer sox look more like lint traps in the drier. It still isn't enough. Is it because of all the downed and broken trees that it seems worse right now...Or is it just this season has been worse than normal.

If the tree is damaged/killed it will release/drop it's pollen all at once, rather than gradually as is natural. Having said that, this is also a very weird year/spring so anything is possible.

NWMNMom said:
If the tree is damaged/killed it will release/drop it's pollen all at once, rather than gradually as is natural. Having said that, this is also a very weird year/spring so anything is possible.

Thanks Mom..I knew I could count on a Minnesotan to give me the answer. in about a 5 sq mile area, we had easily 500 trees that were either damaged (fallen Limbs) or blown over all together. I had a 30 foot limb break off the tree in my back yard...so that explaines the sharp increase in pollen...I can't stay ahead of it.

We got a huge pollen release after the storms last Wednedday (1st) so ended up spendiing hours cleaning tree snot and ittty bitty pine cones

foster400 said:
Have you tried to double up on your skimmer sock, I tried it and seemed to trap more than just one.

I will give it a try...Although I have solar cover on now...it was 97 yesterday..it is now a 3:53 pm 56 degrees. Cold fronts happen...but I am glad I got the cover on last night...It was 88 yesterday in the pool. Want to hold on to that as long as I can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.