Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about tree pollen.

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about tree pollen.

Last Saturday NW Indiana was hit with a huge storm...we had 100+ mph winds and hundreds of trees if not thousands were damaged or just blown over.

I have noticed that over the next several days that my pool has been collecting pollen on the bottm at a much greater speed and amount. Normally I get a few spots over a couple of days...Now it is every day I have to vacuume the whole pool and especially in the middle.

My question is this. With all the broken trees and flying debris from the trees...And yep I had a 30 foot limb from my red maple in the back come down. But does all of that tree damage put excessive pollen in the air and thus in my pool?
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about tree pollen.

I have the exact same problem... and it is an endless battle. The only thing i have found that gets rid of the pollen is a skimmer sock.
    24' Round Above Ground
    15,000 Gallons
    Hayward Pro Series 100 Lbs Sand Filter
    Hayward Power Flo LX 1hp Pump
    8 gallon Liquidator 3/8
    BBB Method

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mrnick0483
    I have the exact same problem... and it is an endless battle. The only thing i have found that gets rid of the pollen is a skimmer sock.
    My skimmer sox look more like lint traps in the drier. It still isn't enough. Is it because of all the downed and broken trees that it seems worse right now...Or is it just this season has been worse than normal.
    Beave

4. Back To Top    #4

If the tree is damaged/killed it will release/drop it's pollen all at once, rather than gradually as is natural. Having said that, this is also a very weird year/spring so anything is possible.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by NWMNMom
    If the tree is damaged/killed it will release/drop it's pollen all at once, rather than gradually as is natural. Having said that, this is also a very weird year/spring so anything is possible.

Thanks Mom..I knew I could count on a Minnesotan to give me the answer. in about a 5 sq mile area, we had easily 500 trees that were either damaged (fallen Limbs) or blown over all together. I had a 30 foot limb break off the tree in my back yard...so that explaines the sharp increase in pollen...I can't stay ahead of it.
    Beave

6. Back To Top    #6

We got a huge pollen release after the storms last Wednedday (1st) so ended up spendiing hours cleaning tree snot and ittty bitty pine cones
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

7. Back To Top    #7

Have you tried to double up on your skimmer sock, I tried it and seemed to trap more than just one.
    20'x 48" Intex.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by foster400
    Have you tried to double up on your skimmer sock, I tried it and seemed to trap more than just one.

I will give it a try...Although I have solar cover on now...it was 97 yesterday..it is now a 3:53 pm 56 degrees. Cold fronts happen...but I am glad I got the cover on last night...It was 88 yesterday in the pool. Want to hold on to that as long as I can.
    Beave