Shade Sails

Does anyone here have any experience with shade sails? How do they hold up with wind? Any advice on quality of different manufactures? Or mounting the sails? We originally were planning a pergola structure over our spa and outdoor kitchen area but are now looking at some different options.

I just put one up last year and I LOVE IT!!!! I bought it from this company in AZ. Price was great and the customer service was amazing.

http://www.tenshon.com/index.html

I am in Northeast Ohio and we have some pretty nasty thunderstorms around here. It has held up beautifully. It does however take 2 strong men to install it each spring to get the right tension on it. I dont know how to post pictures otherwise I would show you how much shad it gives my patio area. I bought the 18x9 rectangle and it is perfect.

I have often thought of doing something like this for my deck with a used sailboat sail. If you don't know about sailing (I also own a sailboat), over time with use sails stretch and loose their optimal shape, this results in a drop in performance which is very important to anyone that races sailboats, somewhat less for cruising boats. The end result is there are a lot of slightly saggy used sails out there for very cheap prices.

Ike

The name "Sail Shade" is a description of the shape and function, not the material. I think an actual Sail would create HUGE forces on the posts. The Aussie Sail Shades are a woven material that allows air to pass through the material.

I purchased two shades from this site:

http://www.catalogclearance.com/depts/shadesails.html

I got mine out of the Bargain Basement (about 15% off) and they both appeared to be brand new. One looked like it was never opened.

I attached our shade to the swing set, a 2" steel pole, and the patio. The shade was never quite as tight as I wanted it. During a good wind (40-50 mph) it would move the whole patio cover. We had to take the cover down for the pool project and I don't think I should attach it to the Amulawood patio.

I like the idea to put one over the pool. I've seen photos of a pool sail with steel cables to move it out of the way.

This photo on the Bargain Basement page has a neat cover over a pool.

http://www.catalogclearance.com/product ... pt-67.html

There was something about the Overstock shades I didn't like back a couple years ago when I ordered mine.
Check out the difference in the rings. My site has seatbelt webbing sewn around the entire perimeter of the sail and I think it is doubled at the anchor points.

A good Shad Sail will actually have a cable all the way around that is fed through the outer hem. This is how you can get proper tension on it by tightening that cable. With out the cable all the tension is going on the fabric and it will not last very long. I liked that company I used because they install that cable for you. One less thing I have to worry about. Mine is connected on 3 sides to my house and the 4th to a pool that is sunk in concrete.

Don't attach the sail to the fascia board, a strong wind could rip it off the house.

My mom's cousin strapped his sail to one of the roof trusses (a hole through the fascia board and a long metal strap screwed into the 'Top Chord' of the truss). I can't tell you if that is a good idea or not.

The best install will be with free standing steel poles. I found a local store that sells all sizes of steel poles. I purchased a 3 foot section of the steel tube used for recess trailer hitches. I put that piece into the ground with a bunch of concrete (3-5 60 lb bags) level with the dirt. I also purchased a 12' 2"x2" 1/4 wall piece of concrete that will fit exactly into the 'sleeve' I installed in the ground. I lubed up the long pole and slid it into the sleeve. You can see the pole on the right side of this photo. In a strong wind I could see the pole bend at least 2-3 inches at the top!

Before I anchored the swingset the sail would pick it up off the ground (and that top beam is a 4x6). I anchored the 2 legs of the swing set into 18"x18"x18" of concrete. After that it didn't move.

Attachments

• Sail Shade (Large).JPG
    Sail Shade (Large).JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 2,010

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine is connected to the house with long eye bolts. It is connected right below the gutters. I am not sure what it goes into, my brother in law is a contractor and he did it for me. It is connected 3 sides the to the house and the 4th side to a free standing pole. I have never had a problem with wind. I usually dont put it up till right before Memorial Day to avoid the really strong spring storms here in Northeast Ohio. We do get quite a few summer storms and I have not had a problem with it. I will take a picture of it and post it for you. It gives wonderful shade and I get many many complements on it.

I worked on the design for an aircraft hanger which included sail shades at the entrance. At that location, wind was a big concern so we talked to some reps for sail shade products. From that research, I'd always recommend sails with four points of attachment in a hyperbolic arrangement (high, low, high, low). 3 points, or 4 points set flat will allow the sail to move up and down in strong winds. They're only resistance to this movement is by being strung really tight. If they get cycling up and down, they can exert quite a lot of force on the anchors.

Some shade sails are made for year round use while some are seasonal. It appears some may only be intended for day use, similar to an umbrella, never intended to see foul weather.

I agree with Nightmare's warnings about anchoring. The anchoring is certainly not trivial. A fascia board is not designed to take that load. From permanent installations I've seen, 6 or 8" diameter steel poles set in concrete foundations seem common for mounting. A smaller size could probably be used if stabilized with guy wires.

@ Isaac-1, I thought I was crazy having a pool and a sailboat (never planned on it) but glad to see I'm not the only one. Interesting idea for the use of old sails. I've always thought that our sailing sails needed to be protected from UV (hence sailbags and sail covers), so I wonder how long they'd last in constant exposure.

Here is a picture of my shade sail. It is a little loose right now and needs to be tightened up. I find that happens a few weeks after I install it, it seems to stretch out a bit and need to be tightened. I have also included a picture of the connection.

Attachments

• IMG00226-20110628-1953.jpg
    IMG00226-20110628-1953.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 1,784
  • IMG00227-20110628-1954.jpg
    IMG00227-20110628-1954.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 1,768
  • IMG00228-20110628-1954.jpg
    IMG00228-20110628-1954.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 1,766
It is VERY hard to tighten those with just the chain and a clip. I used a tie down strap to pull mine a little more, but it was still a little too loose.

A couple stainless steel turnbuckles would make it easy to tighten and then re-tighten after it stretches.

My cousin's father-in-law just purchased an industrial sweing machine. He plans to create a custom size sail shade for their yard. If it works out I think I'll see what he can do for me :)

I have been considering adding the turnbuckles so that I can tighten it myself rather than having my brother in law stop out to do it. Perhaps next year I will. There is a cable in the hem that does have a thingy to tighten it up some but it still takes some strength.

Does anyone know if shade sails can be attached to trees? I would like to put something up to shade my pool from this 105 degree sunshine that we are getting in the DFW area! I have large, mature trees all around my pool, but it gets direct sunlight virtually all day. I really don't want to install posts, as the shade sail would only be seasonal.

This is a late reply, but I wanted to add my .02. We have a pergola, but the drought killed my vines, and then the PVC "criss-cross" got ripped up by some high winds. That's Texas for you! I decided to get a shade cloth cover and the first guy I contacted quoted my $1000 for a 6x12! I located a web supplier who cut me a 6x12, seamed the edges and put grommets in for about $120. I put hooks in the horizontal beams and used ten bungee cords to secure the shade. It had plenty of "give", and if it got really bad, could tear away without damaging anything else. It's great! 70% allows for plenty of light, and keeps everyone cool. This is such a creative way to instantly create shade. All you really need is a single post or high point to anchor the corner of a triangle and then cable the free corners to anything that's strong enough to bear the load. Bungees are great since they provide stretch and tension. Then take it down at the end of the season.

Resurrecting this thread as I've been looking to add a shade sail to the side of our house for a nice shady spot next summer in July/August. Any folks in TX or AZ had more recent experience with these? I'm sure it's even more important for you folks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.