Northern Middle Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Noticed this this spring. Pool installed 2009. Is this a common thing with ladders :?: Is this putting metals in my water??? Thanks to TFP, I'm certain it is not because of my water chemistry. I did have a very small spot of cobalt staining last year, which was probably caused by CH of 120, which I fixed.
I called the company who installed the pool and they said they did not warranty ladder rust. With all the trouble I had with them during my build, that really didn't surprise me :grrrr:
Do I need to get a new ladder??
Thanks folks :-D

Attachments

• IMG_5050.JPG
    IMG_5050.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_5052.JPG
    IMG_5052.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 275
Thanks Dave. If I replace it with a new SS, how do I know if it is a good quality SS ladder, unlike this one that came with my pool???
If I went with the plastic encased one, seems the plastic would break down fairly quickly in a SWCG pool along with the sun exposure. What say you?????

Plastics designed specifically for pools or outdoor use are UV stabilized and don't break down like non-stabilized plastics do.

A good grade of stainless will say what the grade is. (i.e. 304, 316L, etc.) You want either 316 or 317 grade for the best results and if they're "L" graded it's even better.

Lynn, I have a plastic ladder made by Ultimate Manufacturing. It is several years old and was in the pool when I bought the house & pool. I have been very satisfied with it. The other day I broke one of the handrails. I Googled Ultimate pool ladders and found several retailers and the manufacturer. I called the manufacturer and they voluntarily offered to replace the handrail under warranty without charge to me. Their warranty is for 10 years. I tell you this because first of all I am pleased with the ladder and secondly I am extremely impressed with their service.

Orthofish, we have the same problem with our ladder too. Unfortunately we have some weird measurement from the side of the pool wall to where the ladder goes in on the deck. Last year we pulled the ladder out and used a rust remover. But of course wouldn't you know it, the rust is right back again. Looks like we may have to get one specially made because of the odd measurement. Thanks from me too, Larry. I think I'd like to go with a plastic encased one this time.

Mickey, I don't know if the Ultimate ladder will work for you or if they have a conversion kit that would make it work. If your interested you might give them a call. When I called I left a message and got a call back later the same day and the person I spoke to was very helpful. Just Google Ultimate Manufacturing and look for the one that makes pool ladders. If you can't find it you can PM me and I will locate the number I called.

It appears Ultimate only makes ladders for AG pools. I have an IG. It looks like I will be getting a 304 grade ladder. I haven't seen any of the 316 or 317 online that specifically says 316 or 317, but I have a feeling they are going to be too expensive :( But then when I think about it, if I'm going to be buying a 304 grade every 2 years I should just suck it up and get a better grade :?
I hope mine isn't an oddball one too Mickey. I had done a search for my problem and had read your thread about having the same thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lynn, Have you thought about steps. When I had an IG I had steps and was very happy with them. Don't know who made them. Based on my experience with Ultimate I would shoot them an email an make sure they do not have an IG solution. Although on their website I only saw AG ladders, so they may not. When I talked to them they did have some products that were not on the website, but they were for an AG as well.

Larry, I'm not sure what you mean by steps :?: I think I just need to replace the ladder, if I don't run into the problem Mickey did. Mine appear to be pretty standard, but then I haven't done any measuring either.

By steps I mean the wedding cake type that are advertised in the online pool catalogs. They are wider and a little more formal than just a ladder. More like a stair case or the built in stairs in some in-ground pools. All serve the same purpose it is just a matter of taste.

I have steps in the shallow end. The ladder is in the deep end. See pic from my install. My pool is a fiberglass inground.

Attachments

• Pool%20arrives%20016.jpg
    Pool%20arrives%20016.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 161
Hey Lynn :wave:

You got inferior quality S.S. on your ladder :rant: It usually takes a while to show up but a SWCG reveals the defect pretty quickly. I'd double check your warranty to see if there is some 'reasonable' fix. With the other issues you had on your build, the PB ought bend over backwards for you!

Hey Ted,
I agree with you 100% on the trouble I had with this company. I called Family Leisure and the girl went and asked someone if the ladder was in warranty and came back and said it was not covered. Imagine that :rant: I don't know what else to do. I'm looking around the internet for a good ladder. Most of the ones I've seen state they are 304 grade or $300-500. I'm wondering what grade this one is suppose to be??

Found out from the builder that it is a S.R. Smith ladder. Looked on their website and found this:

This warranty specifically excludes fading of materials, microbiological staining of diving boards or pool slides and rust or corrosion of any metallic products or parts.

The search for a new ladder continues :(

It's probably supposed to be 304 but it could be 302 or about any thing else. Or it could be just stainless plated. 304 should last a long time if you keep your levels correct. From your pics, yours looked like they were plated, and if you get a good solid 304 stainless ladder it should be fine. I still prefer a fully plastic encased ladder.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.