Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safe to swim while shocking?

1. Back To Top    #1

Safe to swim while shocking?

I just replaced my water and am in the process of getting up to spec in the BBB method. I am currently shocking my pool. Here are my numbers as of this am:

Fc 13.5
    Cc 1
    Tc 14.5
    Ph 7.5
    Ta 70
    Cya 10-15 guess ( added yesterday but not registering fully yet I suppose)
    CH 450 (the lowest i can get it)

My question is this: is it safe to use the pool over the next few days while I maintain a shock level at around 12?

Thanks for your help
    1. 24k gallon 2. Vinyl in-ground 3. Hayward 255 sq Ft cartridge 4. Jacuzzi 1 hp 5. Hayward heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Safe to swim while shocking?

You don't want to swim when CC is above 0.5, or FC is above shock level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

On top of what Jason said, swimming during the shock process impedes the process of shocking.

4. Back To Top    #4

But, is it dangerous?
    25K, 20' x 36' in-ground SWCG pool (liner). Hayward variable speed pump. Cartridge filter. AquaVac vacuum. AquaConnect system. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Safe to swim while shocking?

I have little to no basis for this but I would suspect the you might have some mild skin irritation in sensitive people or possibly eye redness. Now that being said I swam in ours when it was at near 10-11 ppm FC and was fine - personally I think the pH has more to do with skin/eye irritation than the chlorine (CC excluded).
    Steve
    Deep in the Heart......errrr HEAT of Texas
    20k gallon gunite formal

6. Back To Top    #6

I swan in my pool when the pool was at or slightly above shock level with no ill affects but my cc was a 0. I was running a cya of 50 and a fc of 23 while I was vacuuming away inside the pool.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I swan in my pool when the pool was at or slightly above shock level with no ill affects but my cc was a 0. I was running a cya of 50 and a fc of 23 while I was vacuuming away inside the pool.
    I have done the same thing for years. Besides, the extra digits I have grown has really dropped my times in the backstroke!!

(I'm kidding about the extra digits but not about the swimming )
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

The active chlorine (hypochorous acid) level in a pool at shock level with the FC that is 40% of the CYA level is the same as a pool with 0.6 ppm FC and no CYA so is less than most indoor pools. The chlorine bound to CYA does have some weak oxidation effect (though little disinfection effect) that is around 1/100th that of hypochlorous acid. So even taking a 32 ppm FC with 80 ppm CYA situation, this may mean that this is equivalent in oxidation rates to a pool with 1.2 ppm FC with no CYA so again around what you find in some indoor pools.

Now, that said, you wouldn't want to drink a lot of the pool water since it is the FC level that is relevant in terms of the chlorine effect in your body. It's also not something you would want to do on a regular basis and we normally do not recommend using the pool while shocking, though mostly that's because you are shocking for a reason and it is the algae or bacteria or organic contaminants in the pool that you don't want to be exposed to, especially when chlorinated (i.e. combined chlorine, CC). Inorganic and organic chloramines can be irritating and some are probably or likely carcinogenic.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"