Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Well, so much for my perfect pH

1. Back To Top    #1

Well, so much for my perfect pH

Yeah well, so much for perfect pH! My pool is not digging the 90+ degree temps and hot sun all day as much as we are, lol. I had to put in stabilizer a week ago Thursday, because it was at 0, and now after testing today, it appears that it is back down to about maybe 5, possibly 0 as I can still barely see the black dot after pouring all the liquid in.
    And my pH is up to 7.8 when it was holding steady at 7.5, ugh.
    FC 1
    CC .5
    TC 1.5
    TA 210 - 220

Pool calc suggests putting in 27 oz of MA, 126 oz of bleach, and 2lbs 13 oz of stabilizer again. I'm going out to put in the MA now, then will wait 30 minutes to add the bleach while waiting to see what advice I get from everyone. Pool is super clear, sparkly, 80+ degrees and very nice, very clean.
    TIA,
    ~Shell
    24' AG 13,500 gallons
    Hayward pump, sand filter
    Deck yet to be put up...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suggested chemical levels

You didn't post a CYA number. What was your CYA test result? Your CYA level shouldn't have gone down since last time.

Bringing the PH down and raising FC both sound like a great idea. You should try not to let FC ever get that low.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Suggested chemical levels

I did post the CYA, but in the text.
    "I had to put in stabilizer a week ago Thursday, because it was at 0, and now after testing today, it appears that it is back down to about maybe 5, possibly 0 as I can still barely see the black dot after pouring all the liquid in."
    ~Shell
    24' AG 13,500 gallons
    Deck yet to be put up...

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Well, so much for my perfect pH

The pH rise is to be expected especially w/that TA #.

Pls check the % cyanuric acid on your stabilizer bottle.
    There have been some reports in the past that there is some 50% cyanuric acid out there.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Butterfly. It has 96% cyanuric acid 4% other. I asked back a week ago when I was buying it if that was ok and consensus was yes. I will check my CYA level again today with the other tests to see if that was right. I put in 27 oz of MA and about 128 oz of bleach in last evening around supper time. I bought another bottle of stabilizer, just in case. Just can't believe that if it was 0 a week ago, and I put in enough to bring it up to @30, how it could all be gone now....
    ~Shell
    24' AG 13,500 gallons
    Deck yet to be put up...

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JeepGirl
    Just can't believe that if it was 0 a week ago, and I put in enough to bring it up to @30, how it could all be gone now....
    How many pounds of CYA did you add a week ago?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

On 6/2/11 I added 3 lbs 6 oz in a sock to the skimmer, per pool calc recommendations.
    ~Shell
    24' AG 13,500 gallons
    Deck yet to be put up...

8. Back To Top    #8

This reminds me, I need to do a full test again soon. I think I might push it off until Saturday though since we have storms coming through the next few days.

I'll bet my CYA is still good since it was at 90-100 to begin the season! Could have been those tabs I used for a week or so and some cal hypo. (and all of last season) - Glad that's in the past!!

I checked this morning and the temp is at 85, with no cover and the heater is off! It sure is hot!!
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]