Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Broken Drain Cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Broken Drain Cover

The drain cover for our pool finally gave up after 15 years in the sun, water, and chlorine. It looked pretty flimsy any way. I need to get it repaired ASAP. Any recommendations? Price?

Here is what I know / think:
    There are 2
    It has a sump
    It is approx 8" diameter
    2nd Time Pool Owner - 1998 In Ground, Gunite/Plaster, 24' long x 19' wide x 4.5' deep, 20,000 Gallon, Chlorine, 2 Hp Hayward Ecostar with Sand.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-on...le-t40734.html
    Cave Creek, Arizona

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Broken Drain Cover

Jump in with a mask and screw driver. Look for replacement on line.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

I got a much better universal-fit kit at a local shop for $32.00. I'm having difficulty getting the screws to go in though. Part of it is spending 70% of my energy fighting buoyancy (I'M FAT). And the other part is that I only stay down for about 45 to 60 seconds.

I think the screws get enough bite but are so long it is taking extra time. If I cut them shorter or buy shorter ones they should do fine. Then it would take less time swimming down and turning the screws.

But a weight belt and a LONG snorkel would be a big help!
    2nd Time Pool Owner - 1998 In Ground, Gunite/Plaster, 24' long x 19' wide x 4.5' deep, 20,000 Gallon, Chlorine, 2 Hp Hayward Ecostar with Sand.
    Cave Creek, Arizona

4. Back To Top    #4

I might invest in a Kettle Ball Weight to put on the bottom while I'm working there. It would give me a handle to hang on to at the bottom. 20lbs should do the trick. Maybe 30...
    Cave Creek, Arizona

5. Back To Top    #5

Well fudge! The screw holes stripped out and now I'm having to drill them out and fit a slightly larger screw in. All while under 5.5' of water and while treading water upside down.
    Cave Creek, Arizona

6. Back To Top    #6

It's a little late, how about one size up (a little shorter) stainless steel wood screw.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida