Today I was at my pool store picking up a repaired pump motor, and I told the guy that I have a salt pool, but the chlorine level is zero, because my pump has been broken the last several days. I asked him if in this situation, should I throw in some powdered shock to get the chlorine level up.
He said I could, but that he more highly recommends I use Phos-Free instead of shock, and then just set my generator on the normal automatic setting, and the chlorine level will gradually return to normal.
He goes on to say I should add one capful of this phos-free each week.
My question is: if I don't shock the pool, I think it will take a while for the chlorine level to reach normal level, but the pool employee seems to think that by tomorrow it will be safe to swim in it, because I've just added this phos-free chemical. Even though the chlorine level will likely still be at a low level tomorrow. Is he right?