Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: leaking threaded connections

1. Back To Top    #1

leaking threaded connections

i have a hayward ec75a d.e. filter and all three threaded connections leak.
    first i used teflon tape and they leaked.
    then i used pipe sealant rector # 5 and still leaks
    my next move is applying both together. any thoughts or ideas? are my threads worn out or somthing is that possible?
    20x40 IG vinyl, grecian style, 32.5k gal, hayward ec75a perflex d.e. hayward super pump 1 hp 80 gpm, 8 hr 38k gal turnaround

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: leaking threaded connections

are you missing o rings or anything where the connections are?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

no, theres no o rings just the threaded connections leak. all my pump connections and universals are fine.
    20x40 IG vinyl, grecian style, 32.5k gal, hayward ec75a perflex d.e. hayward super pump 1 hp 80 gpm, 8 hr 38k gal turnaround

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you post a pic of the connections you are referring to? (Use Photobucket.com and copy/paste the IMG code.)
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

My filter's directions said "caution tighten fittings only 1 1/2 turns past hand tight".
    This is somewhat vague as you may be only gripping a 2" fitting end or a hand full of pipe. If only gripping the fitting you don't have much torque, and it will probably not thread far enough, (only about 1/2 the threads in). I did that and they leaked. I then used both teflon tape and paste and it still dripped. Had to tighten one more full turn.
    Mfgr warranty disclaimer I'm sure..

Best of luck,
    John
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build

6. Back To Top    #6

Silicone caulking. Allow it to cure before applying water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

This is the best sealant for plumbing that I have foiund:
    http://www.lowes.com:80/pd_45368-72720- ... facetInfo=
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

my next move is applying both together.
    Waste of time and energy. Correctly applied, pvc pipe dope (ask anyone in the plumbing department at HD/Lowe's) will seal a threaded connection, especially if it's over an inch in diameter. My experience is the smaller ones do well with teflon but either is okay....just not both.

It's possible that the threads are damaged but not very likely on three joints. I would reclean the threads and start over with a thin layer of sealant on both the female and male thread and secure the connection just a little more than hand-tight. What size are these connections? 1.5"?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

As a plumber for 26 yrs we never used #5 on pvc, it seems to soften material. T+2 or T-100 virgin has shreaded teflon in the dope to fill in thread's. Thin coat on thread's followed by a once wrap of tape then another thin coat of dope and yes 1 1/2 past hand tight. Too tight and she'll leak or crack. Should tighten with strap wrench vs channels or pipe wrench due to egging of nipple.
    12X24 Oval AGP +/- 7100 gal
    Clearwater 100 cartridge filter
    Hi-Flo 2sp 1hp pump

10. Back To Top    #10

wow ive forgotten about this thread, but thanks everybody, wimpy i went w/ your advice and put a thin coat and a wrap of tape and another thin coat and she is finally water tight, allthough i used "oatey great white" and you were also right about the rector #5, that stuff softened my filter houseing so much, it cracked it and broke. it is not recommended for abs plastic. great white is, lesson learned but thus is life. thanks again everyone!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy
    As a plumber for 26 yrs we never used #5 on pvc, it seems to soften material. T+2 or T-100 virgin has shreaded teflon in the dope to fill in thread's. Thin coat on thread's followed by a once wrap of tape then another thin coat of dope and yes 1 1/2 past hand tight. Too tight and she'll leak or crack. Should tighten with strap wrench vs channels or pipe wrench due to egging of nipple.
    My way of plumbing which hasnt leaked yet for 15 years is to lightly sand the areas to be connected by glue use primer than glue one both pieces so every area has primer and glue. Hold the two pipes together for two minutes tight. Dont try to glue everything at once. Take your time, one area at a time. Dont torque newly glued areas dont twist either. Let dry for a couple of hours (this is my cure time probably too long but it has worked 100%). When using threaded pipes I wrap 4 times (with standard teflon tape) around less for me leaked. I get my supplies from either home depot or lowes. I dont use any kind of external glue because it will not hold on high pressure pipes.

12. Back To Top    #12

Teflon tape alone almost never works on larger pipes. Also, you really don't want to be gluing threaded connections.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Forgive my ignorance as I am not a plumber, but when you apply the pipe dope to the threaded connection, can you still unscrew the adapter to winterize the pump/filter?

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes you can still unscrew the fittings.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm having the same problem right now. I have used just pipe dope with no luck and tried just 3 layers of teflon tape with no luck. Next I will try a thin layer of pipe dope followed by teflon (1 layer) and finish with some pipe dope and tighten with a strap wrench 1 1/2 past hand snug. Hope this works b/c I'm tired of re doing this piping.
    Approx 74,000 liter inground vinyl pool 12x32, laser 225 sand filter, Hayward 2 speed pump + old pool heater.